Does coffee change the way you smell?

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
This is somewhat of an embarrassing subject, but I need to ask anyway:
I have noticed that, since I began drinking French Press coffee, that I smell differently. It's not a particularly bad smell - to me, it smells like spices. I have not asked anyone else about how I smell, but I haven't received any complaints either.
Some days the odor is stronger than others. I also drink a beer or two some evenings, and I think that alcohol can cause a person to sweat more, and may even change the smell of the sweat.

The particular coffee I have been drinking is PNG. Before the PNG I was drinking Sidamo. Both are medium roasts which I buy as whole beans from a local roaster.
I hadn't noticed the smell so much when I was drinking Legender, which is a medium-dark roast.

I have been brewing in the French press since August, but only began to notice the change in my smell since I started drinking the Sidamo, and now the PNG as well.
I only drink one 8oz cup per day, but I like the coffee fairly potent, so use a ratio of 1:11. I have been using the James Hoffman method to brew, if that means anything.

I have Googled, and one thing I learned is that drinking coffee and not enough water may cause bo issues. I normally do drink a reasonable amount of water, but am increasing my intake of plain - filtered - water starting today.
Another thing I have thought about is the fact that French Press brewing puts more of the coffee oils into your cup, where a filtered method such as pour-over will remove much of the oil.
My plan is to first, increase my water intake throughout the day - especially after I have consumed any alcohol.
Second, I would switch to another coffee, although I do like both the PNG and the Sidamo.
Third, I may start using paper filters to trap the oils as I pour from the French Press into my cup. I know that sort of defeats the whole purpose of the French Press, but I would like to get to the bottom of this. If it turns out that it is the oils, then I may just switch to pour-over.
My last option is to do nothing. The smell isn't bad - at least not to my senses - but it can be overwhelming sometimes - especially when I go to bed. I normally shower before going to bed, but when I run during the day, I take my shower after running, and then no shower before going to bed.

Your thoughts?
Thanks
Ultrarunner

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
I imagine everything we take into our bodies effects the smell of our personal odor. But I doubt coffee has a big impact. For one thing you don't drink enough of it. One cup a day isn't going to do anything for your personal odor. Now, regular intake of certain spices such as those used in Indian food would have a big impact on your odor. Look at the other things you eat to explain your change in scent. I doubt it's the coffee.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
This is somewhat of an embarrassing subject, but I need to ask anyway:
I have noticed that, since I began drinking French Press coffee, that I smell differently. It's not a particularly bad smell - to me, it smells like spices. I have not asked anyone else about how I smell, but I haven't received any complaints either.
Some days the odor is stronger than others. I also drink a beer or two some evenings, and I think that alcohol can cause a person to sweat more, and may even change the smell of the sweat.

The particular coffee I have been drinking is PNG. Before the PNG I was drinking Sidamo. Both are medium roasts which I buy as whole beans from a local roaster.
I hadn't noticed the smell so much when I was drinking Legender, which is a medium-dark roast.

I have been brewing in the French press since August, but only began to notice the change in my smell since I started drinking the Sidamo, and now the PNG as well.
I only drink one 8oz cup per day, but I like the coffee fairly potent, so use a ratio of 1:11. I have been using the James Hoffman method to brew, if that means anything.

I have Googled, and one thing I learned is that drinking coffee and not enough water may cause bo issues. I normally do drink a reasonable amount of water, but am increasing my intake of plain - filtered - water starting today.
Another thing I have thought about is the fact that French Press brewing puts more of the coffee oils into your cup, where a filtered method such as pour-over will remove much of the oil.
My plan is to first, increase my water intake throughout the day - especially after I have consumed any alcohol.
Second, I would switch to another coffee, although I do like both the PNG and the Sidamo.
Third, I may start using paper filters to trap the oils as I pour from the French Press into my cup. I know that sort of defeats the whole purpose of the French Press, but I would like to get to the bottom of this. If it turns out that it is the oils, then I may just switch to pour-over.
My last option is to do nothing. The smell isn't bad - at least not to my senses - but it can be overwhelming sometimes - especially when I go to bed. I normally shower before going to bed, but when I run during the day, I take my shower after running, and then no shower before going to bed.

Your thoughts?
Thanks
Ultrarunner
Ultrarunner.

Did you ever find out what the problem was? Was it the coffee? Did you need to drink more water? Was it some other issue??

~ Rose

addertooth

May 30, 2022
Arizona
Visit site
I have worked in science and engineering most my life. The best way is via differential analysis. Up your coffee intake to 4 cups of coffee a day, and see the difference. If there is little or no difference, with four times the dosage... it was NOT the coffee.