Fluid bed Roasters such as Artisan 6 by Coffee Crafters

wwcove

Banned
Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Here is a few photos showing the electrical outlet I will be using for the roaster, the electric line & breakers mentioned in previous posts. (The 220/20 amp outlet is not shown as it was installed in a different location in garage)

(the wiring of roaster with the 220/50 amp oven plug is shown in last photo to back of roaster electric panel- very simple- red to red, white to white, black to blue and green ground to green screw on metal)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 498
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 387
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 607
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 325
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:

Arco

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Here is a few photos showing the electrical outlet I will be using for the roaster, the electric line & breakers mentioned in previous posts. (The 220/20 amp outlet is not shown as it was installed in a different location in garage)

Thank you very much, this helps quite a bit!

wwcove

Banned
Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
CDC;
i like the lighting you are using both for ceiling & the little clip on light to view coffee beans as they roast. Where's a good place to get these?

Last edited:

DirtyDave

Ah, the old Drum vs Air roasting bugaboo..........
There's no arguing this issue, if you can see the advantages of air roasting, use it.
If you cannot, don't use it.
Don't make the mistake of trying to replicate "drum roasting profiles" with your air roaster, they don't work.
(Such as,; I wouldn't switch off one of the elements to "coast to setpoint after first crack").
The dynamics of interaction of the bean load/inlet air temp/pressure, make for a totally different set of parameters to control.
After doing this for over 25 years, I've learned allot (and I'm still learning), but you have to blaze your own trail.

cdc

Mar 17, 2014
Portland, OR
Visit site
I found the track lighting at Home Depot and the little clip on reading light at Office Max or someplace like that. I definitely recommend the track lighting as it allows for even light that can be directed if necessary. The clip light is mandatory for getting a good view down in the roast chamber.

I also tend to believe that profiling on a fluid bed roaster doesn't bring about the desired results. I experiment occasionally with altering the time/temp but have never found any difference in flavor from a straight roast and don't intend to experiment all that much.

Last edited:

AMPDRoasting

Jul 26, 2014
Los Angeles
Visit site
How is the Artisan working for you?

Thanks for the information everyone. I'm ordered an Artisan 6 recently and should have it next week. I'm scouting out electricians to hook up the machine and am also looking to go with a plug. wwcove, what exactly was your process like? Why kind of cords, plugs, conduit, outlets, etc did you need and what were the associated costs all said and done? I'm trying to figure out how much this may run me, but have no idea what is reasonable for a job like this. I appreciate it.

I am working toward starting a small roasting business in southern cali. I have been looking at the Artisan for it's price, ease of use, and ease to move if i chose to go from home based roasting to a store front at some point.

What do you think of it so far?
Does the flavor some through? I tried one sample of a medium roast and I found it to be kinda bland. The first couple of pots right after I got it were good, but over a few days it seemed to have mellowed.
Do you do dark roasts?

Sorry for so many questions, like the other newbies, just trying to figure out the best equipment...there are so many choices and opinions! =)

cdc

Mar 17, 2014
Portland, OR
Visit site
I am working toward starting a small roasting business in southern cali. I have been looking at the Artisan for it's price, ease of use, and ease to move if i chose to go from home based roasting to a store front at some point.

Does the flavor some through? I tried one sample of a medium roast and I found it to be kinda bland. The first couple of pots right after I got it were good, but over a few days it seemed to have mellowed.
Do you do dark roasts?

Sorry for so many questions, like the other newbies, just trying to figure out the best equipment...there are so many choices and opinions! =)

I'm not sure how to explain your experience with your sample but I tend to doubt it has to do with the roaster and perhaps has more to do with the bean. Once roasted there's really no reason for the beans to change in body or flavor significantly until they inevitably stale, say two weeks after roasting. Or maybe they were stored improperly? I've found the Artisan 6 to produce an extremely even roast at whatever temperature you choose and I get a lot of compliments from customers on the complexity and body of my coffees.

I certainly do dark roasts for customers who ask for it. I can make any bean to as black and oily as they want (though it makes me cry a little). I've found no limitations whatsoever with the Artisan 6 in terms of roast level, from a light cinnamon to black as coal. My experience with this roaster has been nothing but positive.

Hope this helps a little.

Chris

wwcove

Banned
Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
image.jpgThe website has a short video telling you how to set up roaster but when it comes to electric it does not say much other than contact an electrician. You will likely need and electrician to install a 220 circuit breaker with a 60 amp circuit and line to the location you plan to do roasting such as garage or basement. But when it comes to hooking up cord they only recommend a range cord and plug. The photo here shows connections for plug. It's pretty simple if you look at chart that comes with cord. It tells you the 2 power wires (red & black on my cord) then white in center and green I'd ground and attached to green screw in panel. Cord at Lowe's was $25-30. The electrician will vary by location. I ran 2- 220 boxes as I use both fluid and drum roasters. One line was only about 5 foot from electric circuit box. The other about 25ft. Total cost with boxes with outlets was about $600-650. If you only ran one line with box and outlet my guess is $300-450 depending on length of line needed. Hope this helps... Also- if the beans don't taste good it may either be the beans or the length you roaster them. You should by good beans and follow the suggestions they give on whether they are best as a medium light- medium dark and or dark. Plus it's important not to rush the roast process. You can roast beans very fast with the Artisan. But I re commend 12-20 minutes for a full 5-6 lb. Never under 10 minutes for a pound or taste will be effected

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 558

wwcove

Banned
Jun 20, 2014
Visit site

Do you do dark roasts?

Are re you storing the beans properly after roast? In air tight containers with valves? Also how long did you roast beans? If roaster too fast it will have negative effect on taste.