Frozen dough pastries?

nentony

Jul 17, 2006
Satellite Beach, Fl
Visit site
Hello. I have purchased an existing coffee shop and take over 8/31. Currently there is no food sold there and I am going to add typical coffee shop fare, pastries, cookies. paninis, etc. Does anyone have any recommendations as to frozen dough suppliers? I would appreciate any info.
Thank you!

Tony

Deb LaJoie

Aug 14, 2006
Maine
Visit site
frozen dough pastries

Hi, I use lots of frozen dough pastries in my shop. I have chocolate croissants, cinnamon rolls, cookies and scones. I get most of my doughs from Sysco distributors and the companies they carry are Vive La France, Pillsbury, David's cookies and many other brands including their own line. They have everything from cheapo to premium. I use Pillbury 5 or 6 oz cinn rolls and they are huge and popular, Sysco premium (60% butter) cookies and I can't remember the croissant brand but they do carry a big line of sweet and savory croissants. I get my scones from a local bakery.

The cinn rolls and croissants I prep and leave overnight in the oven to proof. The rest goes from freezer to oven. It's easy and it's much more profitable than buying pre-made goodies (though I carry those too). I pay about $1 each for pre-made and packaged cookies/biscotti and about $.39 for each cookie we make.

It is time consuming though and in the summer we are so busy we don't have enough time to bake and resort to ready-made.

You can be very creative with this stuff. If you have a good Sysco (or whatever company) salesperson and attend food shows you can get a lot of good ideas.

Good luck!

nentony

Jul 17, 2006
Satellite Beach, Fl
Visit site
Thank you! That's what I was hopeing to hear. I have a convection oven and a proofer selected, but I'm undecided about the display case. How are your baked goods displayed? Thanks,

Tony

Deb LaJoie

Aug 14, 2006
Maine
Visit site
frozen dough pastries

Hi Tony,

I have a big problem with display. The shop overgrew its original boundries and I haven't a pastry case or much shelving to display on either.

We display freshest pastries on the counter in cloth-lined baskets wrapped only in bakery tissue (5" X 10" tissue sheets folded in half) until they cool and then we wrap in plastic wrap. We place wrapped pastries in baskets or in a rack on a shelf near our bottled drink coolers. We have a display cooler for sandwiches, quiche and other refrigerated pastries.

(On another thread...I buy pre-cooked frozen quiche, thaw, cut and package in clear plastic containers. Easy and some brands are very tasty.
Just microwave (on a plate, not in plastic container) for a few minutes. Some folks like it cold.)

As you can see, I use way too much plastic and the only remedy for keeping pastries as fresh is to invest in a pastry case. I would buy one split between refrigerated and not. You can choose between you serving or self-serving. Check out www.millrock.com for ideas. They have nice stuff but I'm sure if you searched you'd find a few more dealers. Check out used restaurant equipment suppliers, too.

Let me know what you decide.

Deb