Getting the puck out of the filter without burning yourself


New member
Feb 25, 2007
Oregon coast
Visit site
Here's a way that works for me to empty the filter when there is no way to secure it in the filter handle and therefore you can't just turn it over and thump the puck out like the coffee shops do. I use a 2" ABS male coupler (I think it was called that), part no. 5804. It's roughly 1 & 3/4 in. long; the top half has in internal diameter of about 2 & 3/8 in.; and the bottom half (which is threaded on the outside) has an internal diameter of 2 in. For the filter on our machine, the top is large enough to receive the filter when I turn the filter handle over and let the filter drop in. The bottom is small enough to capture the filter and leave an opening large enough for the puck to emerge when I tap on the bottom of the filter (which is now upside down) with the back of a spoon while holding the cool ABS piece in my other hand. Hope that was clear.

You can get the ABS part in the plumbing section of a hardware store for under a dollar. Take the filter with you to make sure it will work for you. It doesn't even look too bad sitting on the counter with the other coffee-making paraphernalia.


Active member
Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
If this is a commercial machine would you like a portafilter clip so you can just turn it upside down and beat it out?

After reading all that I'll even throw one in for free for you! Shoot me an address! :shock: