Help Please: Buying an Espresso Machine is complicated. Can anyone help me?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
If anybody truly thinks Nespresso can top a decent machine/grinder then that surely shows their lack of taste for good espresso. I'd say Nespresso devices are more of a joke than super autos. Not to mention stupid expensive for a small amount of liquid crap in a cup. Funny the articles go on and on about espresso in restaurants, when I've yet to taste good espresso in ANY restaurant over the years. Most restaurant grade coffee is barely drinkable at best. Too bad you're far from driving range of me or I'd show you what real espresso can be and you'd be dropping that toy off at Goodwill in search of something cheaper and MUCH better!

To the OP... pretty much any decent semi-auto/grinder will serve you well. You don't need lame bells/whistles such as volumetric dosing, timers, etc. By all means, definitely avoid the overpriced plastic toy super autos debated lately as that will lead to serious buyer's remorse and bitter disappointment.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Not according to Italians...

If you make a list of the commercial machines people talk about on this forum, you will end up with these brands:

The La Pavoni PUB 1V-R -1 Group...
The la Pavoni BAR-STAR 2V-R - 2-Group...
Pasquini Livia 90...
Nuova Simonelli Aurelia Ii Semi 2 Group...
European Gift Bar 3L-R La Pavoni Bar 3L-R, 3 Group...
La Pavoni Bar 2L-B Lever...

I wonder why none of these sounds like Americans to me. :coffee:

Any one of those machines would make superior espresso over a Super Auto :) Unfortunately, Italians generally use a mixture of subpar Robusta still in their espressos resulting in a subpar/average espresso.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Not according to Italians...

If you make a list of the commercial machines people talk about on this forum, you will end up with these brands:

The La Pavoni PUB 1V-R -1 Group...
The la Pavoni BAR-STAR 2V-R - 2-Group...
Pasquini Livia 90...
Nuova Simonelli Aurelia Ii Semi 2 Group...
European Gift Bar 3L-R La Pavoni Bar 3L-R, 3 Group...
La Pavoni Bar 2L-B Lever...

I wonder why none of these sounds like Americans to me. :coffee:

Italians do make quality machines/grinders, but in stock form they're pretty good. It really takes tinkering to bring the best out of them and most of that cutting edge change has been here in the states. I imagine many of us take more pride in espresso than the typical Italian. The Italian 'golden rules for proper espresso' seem kind of piss poor to me and would never cut it on my level of expectation. The ristrettos I extract would likely be a bit much for them.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
So machines are more important than barista after all? I am glad to see this discussion is going somewhere... :coffee:
Unless it's a Communist country, whatever they serve must be whatever their customers want. This is the simplest rule of market economy.

Actually FAR from it as the machine/grinder are just devices to extract the very best a coffee has to offer when properly designed to do so and it takes a skilled operator to make the very best of a machine/grinder/coffee. No automated machine in existence will match what I can do with my setup. If you want to spend the remainder of life being a push button monkey that is satisfied with passable espresso so be it, but some of us aren't.

Last edited:

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Actually I don't care about history on any level as it doesn't affect how I live day-to-day and won't affect my future in any way.

Do us a favor and snap/post a few pics of a typical extraction you are proud of. Some think appearance means little with an extraction, roasted coffee, etc., but I definitely don't agree with that.