Help Please: No chaff in chaff unit - Sedona Elite 3200 ( Santoker 3kg)

gary3917

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
[FONT=&quot]Hi all, I have a Santoker 3 kg and it will not send chaff to my chaff collector. I have played around with the air flow,reduced air flow to low and to med and hi , and my chaf goes out the vent pipe . I even put a screen with medium size holes in the chaff vent b4 it goes out the vent to stop it but it only clog it up real fast but I do see all off the chaff going straight out of my exterior vent .Is this a bad idea for my Sedona Elite 3200 ( Santoker 3kg) .The chaff collector is completely useless . I'm thinking the chaff motor is too strong and I have tried to reduce the suction ...but no help .Sure would love your ideas to help me or should I not worry about it ? [/FONT][FONT=&quot]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-4OsjYgMUQ[/FONT]

What does the interior of the chaff collector look like?
The important aspect of the design of a cyclone chaff collector is that the end of the outflow "tube" inside the collector extends down well below the side inflow hole.
If the inflow and outflow are too close together, this could cause what you are experiencing.
This video serves as a good example of the outflow tube (extending inside the cyclone from the top) ending well below the side inflow hole:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZSFSgVsMyI

gary3917

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Thank you so much NorthSouth !!!!!!
Love your explanation and the you tube video you use for clarification. I remember when I was seasoning my drum , The chaff collector filled up with extremely red hot beans that caught on fire and really scorched my chaf unit and it ruined my gasket seal around chaff door .I would not think that seal would be that important to the function of the roaster ...but maybe that could be my problem .Do you think the chaff must be air tight ? Is it advisable to redesign my chaff unit with a outflow tube (extending inside the cyclone from the top) ending well below the side inflow hole I am now thinking the inflow and outflow are too close together ....because it is very close to each other .
You got me thinking now !
Thank you so much for your insight and please respond again to my comments above it I am on the right track
Gary

Last edited:
While not impossible, it is unlikely that the chaff collector is designed incorrectly.
The leaky gasket is probably the issue. If the gasket is leaking, I suspect it will cause the output from the roaster to not cyclone and thus the chaff will not gradually work its way to the collection box at the bottom.

Test it out:
With the roaster completely cool, open the inspection door and strongly tape some clear plastic sheeting so that the hole is totally sealed. Then turn on the fan and feed (somehow) an amount of chaff into the output pipe from the roaster. With luck, you will be able to look thru the plastic sheeting and see what is happening. Even if you cannot see, just inspect the results. If chaff collects in the bottom box, the gasket is the problem. If not, we need to think again.

gary3917

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Well Goooolllly as Gomer Pyle would say
Ok just a good news update !!! I finally after a year with my roaster not collecting chaff in the chaff collector is now working perfectly ... thanks to NorthSouth has just replied about the chaff problem .Who would of thought that all I had to do was replace my gasket seal on my chaff door and now it works perfectly !!! So excited thanks to all of you who responded ...wonderful help indeed .Thank you Mr. Northsouth you are sooooooooawesome
Very Happy camper

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Well Goooolllly as Gomer Pyle would say
Ok just a good news update !!! I finally after a year with my roaster not collecting chaff in the chaff collector is now working perfectly ... thanks to NorthSouth has just replied about the chaff problem .Who would of thought that all I had to do was replace my gasket seal on my chaff door and now it works perfectly !!! So excited thanks to all of you who responded ...wonderful help indeed .Thank you Mr. Northsouth you are sooooooooawesome
Very Happy camper

That's a great "Good News" update. I always enjoy reading the posts letting us know that things worked out okay. I love it when our Forum members are able to help someone with a problem.

I am very happy that things worked out for you.

~ Rose