Help with Ratios

I am still lost on the coffee to water ration. I’m stuck on what that means in terms of grams of coffee to water. I know that espresso should be 1:2 and auto drip should be 1:17 but to me, as someone who is not in the coffee business, that makes no sense to me.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
I think you are just overthinking it. So, looking at your auot drip ratio of 1:17, all that means is that for each gram of coffee that you use, you should use 17 grams of water. You can also do it by volume. 1 tablespoon of coffee for every 17 tablespoons of water. I use a 1:13 ratio for french press brewing. And since I'm the only one drinking coffee in my house, I want to make just enough for me to drink in the morning, which is two mugs of coffee. So, I will weigh out 23 grams of coffee. I then multiply the 23 times 13 which equals 299 (round it up to 300). So I add 300 grams of water to my 23 grams of coffee to get my 1:13 ratio. I think you can probably find some standard recommended ratios for different brew types. Start with the standard recommendation and see how you like it. If it's not strong enough add a little bit more coffee. For instance, I originally was told that a 1:15 ratio would be good for french press. Since I've always been using 300 grams of water, I was using 20 grams of coffee which equates to 1:15. 300 divided by 15 equals 20. I decided to try a 1:14 ratio which meant about 21 1/2 grams of coffee. Ultimately I ended up at 1:13 which tasted great to me. You just need to do some simple multiplication or division in order to come up with how much coffee and water to add to arrive at the desired ratio. I hope this helps. Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions. I know that until I started weighing my coffee and water, my coffee was inconsistent at best.