Homegrown coffee plant

gcaira

Feb 13, 2015
Toronto
Visit site
I have a homegrown coffee tree in Toronto, Canada. It loves summer-time on my deck, but always took a beating every winter (dropping a lot of leaves) until last year... I bought full-spectrum lighting in its sixth winter and finally got blooms last May. I harvested nearly 40 cherries in the past couple of weeks. They're dried and hulled now and I'm going to roast them in a cast iron pan - I have about 10 grams in raw dark green beans. Think I'll get an espresso out if it? And can I expect a higher yield next year?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "gcaira"

That's fantastic! How big is your coffee plant? How long did it take for the cherries to appear after the plant flowered?

The weight of the beans will be less after you roast them because they lose moisture. Maybe one of our roaster pros can give you an estimate on how much you'll have when it's all said and done.

Welcome to the Coffee Forums!

Rose

gcaira

Feb 13, 2015
Toronto
Visit site
The cherries took 8 or 9 months to fully ripen, Rose. The tree is around five feet tall now (sorry, bad pic): IMG_3173.JPG
IMG_3171.JPGIMG_3156.JPG

Gabe

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
wow.... that is very cool.
I also planted some of the coffee seeds that I got from Guatemala about 3 month ago.
so far, nothing happened.
but I have a feeling that my son is forgetting to water them while I am traveling.
BTW, Gabe, if you want to see really A LOT OF COFFEE TREES AND BEANS, come on down to Guatemala. ha ha ha.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
By any chance did they ever tell you how often they water the seeds that are in the pots on the coffee farms? You need to duplicate the coffee plant's natural habitat as much as possible.

Is your flower pot located on an enclosed patio or directly out in the open where it gets rain water?

Too much water will ruin the seeds. They just need enough warmth and moisture to germinate.

When you get a chance, take a look at this article:
Germination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

gcaira

Feb 13, 2015
Toronto
Visit site
Well, may have slightly over-roasted, but here's my little handful of coffee from my tree's first crop - ready for brewing in a few days...

done.jpgsecondcrack.jpgfirstcrack.jpg