How did you start your coffee roasting business?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Hi Peter,
Yes, but the cap is net sales, not net income. So, if I sold $10/lb, that would be 500lbs, still decent. I was a little worried about reaching the cap too soon, but I read some more and one of the requirements is to have a disclaimer on the label that says something like warning: this product was produced in a home kitchen that is not inspected nor licensed by the health department. Basically, "eat at your own risk, blah blah." Great, thanks Colorado. [Throws arms up in the air] Maybe I should just forget this altogether and wait until I can dedicate full time. Can't wait til our next duty station. Haha.

But that would describe gross income.

You said earlier,
I looked it up again and it is a $5,000 cap on net sales (gross sales minus discounts, money returned, etc).
. So the cap sounds like it's based on profit.

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Net Sales = Gross Sales - (Customer Discounts + Returns + Allowances)

What did I actually receive from the sale, to account for returns, discounts, etc.

Net income is the result of the reductions in net sales for the manufacturing costs, personnel expenses, operating costs and other overhead.

Ronc23

Oct 1, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
tazzadiluna,

I have a Dietrich HR1, it took me a while to find what I wanted for my price range. It's been fun learning to use it. So, I was a little curious with the cottage act/law so I took a peek at it. It says up to $5k per product sold annually. Do you know what their definition of a product is? When I think of coffee as a product in terms of selling it, I would define it as the particular origin or blend that I'm roasting. For example, I current roast a Guatemalan, Costa Rican, and Ethiopian. This would be three products and I would track them separately from a sales standpoint. They eventually would funnel to total net sales. Again, I'm not sure what their definition is but may be worthwhile to ask.

Ron

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi Ron,
Yes, I thought about that, but I dismissed it. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Anyway, for now, I've decided I'll sell what I roast here and there to people I know and whomever asks to buy instead of actively trying to market it and such. I think I'd rather have a licensed business if I try to market to a wider audience, which I don't have time for that now. The way I see it, I've still got lots of learning to do anyway, so might as well enjoy the slow ride until I'm ready.

I initially thought about moving up to an RK gas grill drum roaster, but since this change of plan after some research I think I might take a look at a Gene Cafe Roaster... I have yet to look it up, so we'll see.

Keep us posted with how the HR1 is treating you. I read somewhere that you have to break it in and the roasts get a whole lot better after around the 50th roast.

Angela

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI for anyone reading this, got this link from Odysea in another forum which pertains to this thread, too: CottageFoods.org
It's a site that has Cottage Food Laws by state. It's also got groups/forums by state and a Q&A section in general. Then once your business is up and running you can add your Cottage Food Operation (CFO) to the map.

Another thing I found about the Colorado Cottage Food Act is that you need to take a food handler training course before you start selling, which can be a course from CSU Extension’s Food Safety Works program, I'll try to post more about that once I find out more and complete it. Also, looks like as long as the purchaser is a direct consumer, you can sell your product on the internet in Colorado.