Ikea Milk Frother - Yes or No?

carlamoose

Dec 31, 2007
PA, USA
Visit site
I'm in need of a milk frother because the one that came with my (cheap) espresso maker broke. Some people recommend the Ikea Milk Frother, although one person said I would have to use whole milk or half and half. I use fat free milk. Can anyone recommend (or not recommend) this product, especially for its price? Ikea is far for me, so I don't want to have to return it to the store. I will also take other recommendations or techniques. I tried making it on the stovetop, but I don't think I whisked fast enough by hand. Anything will help! Thanks!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello, "Carlamoose"

Some of the small, inexpensive hand-held milk frothers don't have enough power to do it right. The one that you are considering looks like it's too small. One key to figuring out how much power it has is to see if it runs on only one AA battery or if it needs two or 3 AA batteries. (which would indicate more whipping power)

If I were you, I'd consider getting a more sturdy one. You can buy them at most grocery stores and other stores like Target, Sears, etc. I did a search for milk frothers on Amazon.com, and there are a lot of selections in a variety of price ranges. I know someone who has an Aerolatte, and she says it works fine. She uses it to froth skim, low fat, and whole milk, but I'm not sure about half and half. She also uses it to whip up instant chocolate pudding for her kids.

Here is the link to toe Aerolatte:
http://www.amazon.com/Aerolatte-Milk-Fr ... 257&sr=8-1

I hope this helps.

Rose

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Carlamoose, I have an espresso machine I found some time ago and was going to use it for parts. It does need a few parts itself, but these can be had for $30 at most. If you are interested all I'd require is the cost for shipping. You can do a search on it. It's called the Capresso BAR351. My e-mail is [email protected]. Later!

carlamoose

Dec 31, 2007
PA, USA
Visit site
Rose, I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but where in the store could you find a milk frother? I tried the coffee maker aisle in Wal Mart, but no luck. I haven't been in Target for awhile. I guess at the grocery store, it would be in the coffee aisle? I did see Aerolatte as a frother option while researching, so I will keep it in mind.

Shadow, I will look into that option later when I have more time. Right now, I have to run to work lol

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Carlamoose,

In the grocery stores, the milk frothers are usually by the coffee or in the aisles where they have kitchen gadgets, small appliances, coffee mugs, etc. Since they're in relatively small packages, they may be hanging on hooks.

Target would have them by the hand held mixers, other small appliances, or along the wall where they have the small kitchen gadgets.

I've also seen them in Sears in the aisle where they have the coffee makers, etc.

Now that you're looking for them, you'll probably start seeing them everywhere.

Rose

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Ha, Rose you're forever the optimist. It's usually the opposite for me. Whenever I start looking for something I can never find it, otherwise they're all over the place when I don't need it anymore.

Shadow, that's a generous offer! A free espresso machine? Yes please... LOL.

carlamoose

Dec 31, 2007
PA, USA
Visit site
Actually, going back to the Ikea frother, it requires 2 AA batteries, same as the Aerolatte. Now, I don't know if it's cheap plastic or not. For $2, it probably is lol I'll probably go shopping at the grocery store and Target before I make a final decision. Thanks again!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Again "carlamoose"

For a $2 price, even if the Ikea milk frother doesn't work out for you...you can still use it for other things, like whipping eggs before scrambling them, etc. It wouldn't be worth the trip to take it back to the store for a refund if you don't like it.

One thing to keep in mind about the wand-type milk frothers is that they usually work best with cold milk, and you can only whip up about 2 ounces at a time. They whip the milk up to a frothy foam, and if you use it long enough you can get it almost to a consistency of whipped topping.

If you warm the milk first, it will take a longer time to get warm milk to foam, and then it flattens out real fast. If you want warm milk-foam on your coffee, you can always give the whipped milk a short zap in the microwave.

Since you've been used to having a steaming wand on your espresso maker, you may not be happy with a small hand held milk frother.

You'll need to experiment to find what works for you.

Rose

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Yes, but they're more expensive. Here is one that comes close to what you get by using a steam wand. It's on the Amazon.com website.

http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-201-01-F ... 349&sr=8-3

This is the Amazon.com Review:
If you're a fan of cappuccinos, lattes, hot chocolate, or other drinks that use hot, frothy milk (and really, who isn't?), then Capresso's FrothXpress should become an indispensable part of your kitchen collection. After it's been turned on and warmed up for two minutes, it's easy to use. Just fill the water tank (which is in the actual machine), then fill the milk tank (which is a separate unit), and attach them. From that moment, it's just a matter of putting a cup under the spout and pressing the button--voilà, steamed frothy milk for a variety of treats. The milk temperature is adjustable from 120 to 170 degrees F, and the frother has 1,220 watts of power, as well as a stainless-steel ThermoBlock that ensures the aluminum parts don't touch the steam, a nice safety feature. The FrothXpress measures 8-3/4 by 6-1/2 by 8-3/4 inches (length by width by height), and looks sharp in gleaming bright black plastic

Rose

carlamoose

Dec 31, 2007
PA, USA
Visit site
Heh, yea if I'm going to spend that much, I'll just a new machine lol Hopefully I'll just adjust to the non-steam foam. Maybe I'll buy the $2 Ikea to hold me over until I save enough money for a new machine. Thanks for all of your help!

edit - Here's something else. I wonder how effective it is, although I guess it depends on your arm strength.

carlamoose

Dec 31, 2007
PA, USA
Visit site
Ok I bought the Ikea milk frother and here's the verdict. It makes enough foam for a latte but not for a cappuccino. For what I wanted to accomplish, spending $2 on it is good enough for me. I wonder if it'll whip cream efficiently?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Carlamoose,

I'm glad the milk frother worked out okay for you!

It's very possible that it will make whipped cream too, but you won't be able to do a lot at a time....maybe just a few ounces. Just be sure the cream and the bowl you're whipping it in are real cold.

Rose