Instant Coffee

exscalable

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
But seriously, I might get flamed for saying this but a lot of the flak instant coffee receives is not justified. Us coffee connoisseurs tend to turn up out noses as the very mention of instant. But instant coffee has come along way and there are some products which are pretty decent.

CoffeeMate

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
But seriously, I might get flamed for saying this but a lot of the flak instant coffee receives is not justified. Us coffee connoisseurs tend to turn up out noses as the very mention of instant. But instant coffee has come along way and there are some products which are pretty decent.

You won't get any ridicule from me but as you alluded to, instant coffee has been really bad for decades and I never went back to see if they had improve the taste.

I am now willing to try some instant coffee after many, many years of abstinence. Therefore, I would like for you to recommend an instant coffee product that you recognize as being decent so that I may have a go to coffee in a pinch.

Thank you and I am serious about finding a good instant coffee if there be one.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I don't drink instant coffee, but my mother keeps some around for when she doesn't feel like making a whole pot.

She has tested all sorts of instant coffees, and her newest favorite is Taster's Choice House Blend in the single serve packs (roast intensity is between light and medium). Apparently, the single serve packs helps keep the instant coffee "fresher." I usually have already had my fill of coffee before I go to visit her, and since I don't drink instant coffee anyway, I can't be a judge on this one...

Rose

I posted this a year ago, and my mother still drinks the Taster's Choice House Blend. I was surprised to see that she still buys it.

CoffeeMate

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I posted this a year ago, and my mother still drinks the Taster's Choice House Blend. I was surprised to see that she still buys it.

Now as I am remembering, my mom would brew Maxwell house coffee over the stove when she wanted a full pot of coffee but would indeed drink Taster's choice for a fast instant cup of coffee. That was about 50 years ago so I will try Taster's Choice again to see what all the hub-bub is about.

CoffeeMate

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Instant coffee is to coffee what Military music is to music....

So you are saying that instant coffee gives you a jolt; make you want to march and perhaps fight?

The Sousa March songs are great and the USA Armed Forces theme such as:

Air Force (Off we go into the wild blue yonder)
Army (The Field Artillery)
Marines (From the halls of Montezuma) Read the words - they are strong!
Navy (Anchors Aweigh)

Are all spirited, strong and uplifting.

alank

May 5, 2013
Florida
Visit site
I prefer brewed coffee (Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts), but do drink instant coffee (Folgers) while in the office at work. I love my coffee, but find myself very flexible. Now with high blood pressure, my Dr. suggested I only drink up to four cups of decaf daily.

BlueMoods

Feb 1, 2014
USA
Visit site
As a rule, I do snub my nose at instant coffee BUT there is an exception. For cooking where a mild to medium coffee is called for, or to enhance light chocolates I do use Buen Diaz instant and, the stuff is actually drinkable. It's a Colombian and does not taste as instant as some of the bigger name brands.

mholguin

Apr 1, 2014
New Mexico
Visit site
Personally, I don't like instant coffee. I feel like it takes away from the complex taste of coffee and the roasting process. I have tried Starbucks instant coffee and wasn't a fan. I enjoy the process it takes to make a great cup of coffee with my Aeropress.

cafeaulait

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Instant coffee is horrible. I've never had a descent cup in my life.

However yes, it is big in Europe. Last trip to Western Europe (London, France, Berlin), I was served instant coffee quite often. For some reason it didn't taste as bad over there as it does here in the States.

montre

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't get surprised when I hear anyone saying that he likes instant coffee more than the brewed one. It's a matter of personal preference. Some people cannot afford machine and some just don't have the time. Anyways, according to an article, 63% of the coffee drinkers prefer brewed coffee over instant coffee. The reason that was given is obvious - Taste and Health. Brewed coffee is somewhat tastier and healthier than the instant coffee. I think I should do a research on this topic.

P.S. I like brewed more than the instant. :coffee: