Inventory Assumptions for Drive-Thru

keithharr

Dec 27, 2004
Visit site
Hey all -

I've been watching this forum for a little while now, and you all have been extremely helpful to me as I work my way through my business plan.

I'm stuck on inventory projections. If I assume that I'm going to sell, say, 200 cups of coffee per day at my drive thru, how can I estimate what I'm likely to spend on inventory? I haven't spoken to any roasters yet because I'm not quite to that point, but I'd like to have a ballpark number to use for planning purposes...

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Keith

Twitch

Mar 9, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Hi Keith,
I'm in a similar boat as yourself, here's what I have found out:

60 shots of espresso /lb
48 cups of brewed /lb

Your mix at first will be 80% brewed 20% espresso based this mix will adjust out to more espresso based drinks over time. But if you're concerned with opening inventory, that's a good bet I've been told.

200 cups/day average gives you
160 cups of brewed and 40 espressos to start out with.

one day will require 4+lb's of brew beans and about 2/3 of a pound of espresso beans per day. I don't know what your decaff would be. Haven't got there myself.

In talking to my local supplier, he's assured me that he won't let me go without beans (he can deliver the same day ordered if necessesary, which is why I chose him as a local)

You'll probably eat some coffee at startup, because it's alwasy better to have more coffee than not.