Keep it real: The negatives of owning your own store

MontanaMama

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
OMG, who said that they read their employees blog??? :shock:

The first thing that came to my mind was the long hours.....long LONG hours.....I'm still adjusting.

Dealing with snobby customers. I had one the other day from SLC and boy was she bad. "I'd like a 7 shot latte with 7 oz of vanilla please". I make it. She says it tastes like mud. She wants more flavoring and some half&half. Now it's acceptable but she informs me during the process of fixing her drink that Starbucks makes it right for her everytime and she doesn't know if I've ever heard of Starbucks but they're the REAL coffee makers and the ones that started it all.

:roll: I'm screaming inside, going "lady, I'm well traveled and lived and drank coffee extensively in europe. I know Starbucks and I know good coffee, now shut up!"

I just kept smiling and trying to make it right for her. :lol:

BilgeMud

Jan 18, 2006
Visit site
Excellent thread

This is an excellent thread for anyone like me considering taking the plunge. I created a business plan for a drive thru and then realized that there is a lot more involved then throwing around some numbers and ideas. Thank you for showing us the real problems that you experience with equipment and personnel.

Rockcreekcoffee

Dec 8, 2004
Billings, MT
Visit site
Owning Your Own

Yes, it's difficult some days owning your own coffee house, but I think of the alternative (Corp. America) and I want to throw up.

There has only been one day in the last 19 months when my husband and I first started that I made the wrong choice in going into the coffee biz. The hours are relentless, you have to defend your product, (due to lack of education by the consumer) etc...

But at the end of the day, I don't have anyone telling me what, when, why and how and oh btw, can I have the done before 5:00 pm

When I have customers tell me that we make the best coffee in town, that's what it is all about... and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Thanks

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
shop till you drop

For me the biggest killer in owning your own shop is that I never got to work the couter. I had this romantic idea of myself sitting there serving my regulars like family but the reality is I spent most of my time dealing with suppliers, getting repairs done, fighting with the city over zoning and helath inspections, etc.
I've read alot of complaints about employees on this thread. If you are having such a problem then get rid of them or offer a passable wage that will allow you to RETAIN good employees. There are plenty of hard-working baristas out there who would love to work at a shop that shows even a modicrum of respect to them. Invariably they are either underpaid or are treated like children because shop employers are used to having more or less worthless employees. There is a local shop here that offers 401K, health insurance , etc. They have had the same staff for over 4 years now which is unheard of. The shops take-in and customer loyalty are though the roof. You can talk bottom line all you like but if the customer does not have a hapy experience its all for nothing because they never return. Happy employees make happy customers.

BMWBOY713

Apr 2, 2006
San Francisco
Visit site
ONE MONTH OLD HERE SERVING TULLY'S COFFEE, GREAT LOCATION NEAR BUS STOPS, 1 BLOCK CITY COLLEGE OF SAN FRANCISCO, A LOT OF DRIVE BY TRAFFIC, AND LOCAL BUSINESSES, NO STARBUCKS FOR 3 MILES

1. AS THE OWNER YOU ARE PROBABLY THE BEST AT EVERY AVENUE OF YOUR BUSINESS, EVERYTHING FROM MAKING ESPRESSO DRINKS, BEING PERSONABLE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS, MANAGING WASTE, MANAGING PROMOTIONS, PEAK HOURS, TIME MANAGEMENT ECT ECT, BUT YOU CAN'T BE EVERYWHERE AT THE SAME TIME. SO THERE WILL ALWAYS BE AREAS THAT SUFFER

2. I OPENED THIS MARCH 1ST AND SAN FRANCISCO SET A RECORD FOR THE MOST RAIN IN A MARCH IN THE HISTORY OF RECORDED WEATHER HISTORY OF SAN FRANCISCO 26 DAYS OUT OF 31

3. NOT KNOWING HOW MUCH LOSS IS TOO MUCH LOSS. I LOST $2000 IN MONTH 1 BUT IM NOT SURE IS THAT REASONABLE OR NOT. I FIGURE THAT WE STILL HAVE ON HAND 1500 IN INVENTORY SO 500 IS REALLY LOSS NOT INCLUDING NOT PAYING MYSELF. BUT I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE THE RAIN REALLY FACTORED IN 30%? 40%?

4. 14 HOUR WORK DAYS 7 DAYS A WEEK

5. MIND NEVER STOPS THINKING, NEVER....

Anajoeri

Sep 2, 2005
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Visit site
one negative and one positive

One of our negatives is the following: one day, just out of the blue, the volume of people coming in is reduced to half... being a beginner this is a scarry thing. We got used to the fact that these days are there and can always happen, and that they do not start a fall down of our business. I cannot stop to add a positive as well :) On Saturdays I go in and stay more hours, just for quality check. Last Saturday I was watching from the upper level the activity of our two employees, and a friend of mine came in and saw me drinking a perfect macchiato, and asked with a smile: oh, you came to work, huh? I felt so great...saying , yes i came to work! I realized what a wondeful work this is, actually 8)

Panini Guy

Apr 24, 2006
Pittsburgh
Visit site
If you and your spouse are both involved (and really, how could you NOT be) you will argue. And it will get nasty at times. So this business isn't for those with a weak relationship.

You won't have time to do all the things you used to do.

And if you had a "good job", you'll be a lot poorer for a considerable period of time.

But there are a lot worse things you could be doing. If you're up to doing it "right" and not just launch a bunch of mediocre stores, you'll find a fantastic community of enthusiastic people who will help you every step of the way.

paulys

Feb 20, 2006
hamilton, NJ
Visit site
or as i'm realizing...

the delays in the permit process and getting approval from the township.

my espresso machine's sitting it's box in the corner of the store and has been there for over a month... ugh.

aeneas1

Mar 22, 2005
Visit site
- worker's comp
- payroll taxes
- worker's comp
- income statements
- worker's comp
- unemployment rates
- environmental health
- perishable products
- attorneys
- plumbers
- electricians
- worker's comp
- lease renewal negotiations
- electricity
- propane
- leaks
- equipment failure
- corporate franchise tax
- penalties and interest
- employment development department
- worker's comp
- employee injury
- liability
- customer injury
- immigration ?

nick

Aug 23, 2007
Toledo Ohio
Visit site
I will reply (since I just noticed this thread).

cust.: You should have more food...why don't you have a <insert commonplace food item here>?...You don't have pie??!!??!!

employee: A large Latte will normally have 2 shots of EXPRESSO. (Nick overhears, dies of embarrassment, comes back to life and strangles employee)

cust: I will take a 20 oz. Breve with one shot. Do you still charge for a small?

I will agree with all of the above comments. It all sounds very familiar. It's hard work, and yes it is a business, and needs to be run like one, but when it comes to service, you have to have fun with it. I personally like to harass my customers, try to make them laugh, get to know them, and let every customer know that when they are always welcome. It's hard to interact with the difficult customers when you are too serious. It's not like you are running a bank.