Kona coffee

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
If you haven't tried yet, I would suggest you look for Jamaica Blue Mountain. It has been one of the standard bearers for quality for a long time. Now in the so called "3rd wave" era, it might not rival many of the best COE coffees coming from all regions in the world of coffee!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
If you haven't tried yet, I would suggest you look for Jamaica Blue Mountain. It has been one of the standard bearers for quality for a long time. Now in the so called "3rd wave" era, it might not rival many of the best COE coffees coming from all regions in the world of coffee!

Based on lots of discussion over the years that seems to be much more about supply/demand than any other factor as well. I've never tried any form of it as there's NO way I'd spend anywhere close to that for ANY coffee grown. I'm sure there are lots of great coffees that will easily equal JBM for a fraction of the cost.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, there tends to be a lot of the "placebo effect" in the coffee world. When you hear respected guru's in the business ooohing and awwwing over something, you take notice. I remember Penn and Teller doing a segment on bottled water. They set up a restaurant to offer a variety of bottled water proudly listed on a table tent menu, and an H2O "sommelier" to offer glowing descriptions of each. The water that would be served came straight out of the hose in back of the restaurant. It was funny to see people actually giving rave reviews of the water, and pointing out characteristics of each sample that they preferred or did not prefer...lol! Anyhow, the main reason why many coffees still held in high regard, in this day of single origin microlots, is that old guys like me won't surrender to the 3rd wavers!! LOL...just sayin'...

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Guess I'm different in that I don't pay attention to what the so called 'gurus' find interesting as taste is highly subjective and experience/expectations wildly vary. What counts for me is what I find interesting from my roasting/extracting.

I totally agree with the 3rd wave crap and I'm far from impressed by most of what I've tasted over the years. That's one of the main reasons I started home roasting as many commercial artisan roasters were heading in that direction years ago and none of what I tried was worth buying again. What many seem to aim for is borderline tea with the light roast/fruit/floral passion. Just won't cut it for my taste/expectations. I also usually don't bother with single origins as I've found many to be bland and too one-dimensional compared to a solid blend (espresso specifically), but I have found some great dry process single origins lately. Attached is a pic of a Brazil I roasted just yesterday.

thumbnail_20200503_162651.jpg

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Guess I'm different in that I don't pay attention to what the so called 'gurus' find interesting as taste is highly subjective and experience/expectations wildly vary. What counts for me is what I find interesting from my roasting/extracting.

I totally agree with the 3rd wave crap and I'm far from impressed by most of what I've tasted over the years. That's one of the main reasons I started home roasting as many commercial artisan roasters were heading in that direction years ago and none of what I tried was worth buying again. What many seem to aim for is borderline tea with the light roast/fruit/floral passion. Just won't cut it for my taste/expectations. I also usually don't bother with single origins as I've found many to be bland and too one-dimensional compared to a solid blend (espresso specifically), but I have found some great dry process single origins lately. Attached is a pic of a Brazil I roasted just yesterday.

View attachment 10601

Nice! What are you roasting with? I built a roster with a counter top convection cooker...the kind with the glass bowl and heating coil above, and a popcorn popper for the stirring, although I completely did away with the drive motor and all. I'll have to post pictures of it.

wstsider

May 24, 2019
Visit site
Nice! What are you roasting with? I built a roster with a counter top convection cooker...the kind with the glass bowl and heating coil above, and a popcorn popper for the stirring, although I completely did away with the drive motor and all. I'll have to post pictures of it.

I’ve been meaning to get into roasting myself so I can try it and figure out what I like and do it myself! Any pointers on what to use?

wstsider

May 24, 2019
Visit site

Never had JBM

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I’ve been meaning to get into roasting myself so I can try it and figure out what I like and do it myself! Any pointers on what to use?

Go to homeroasters.org . You can explore the different options and challenges involved with the process. You can ask a lot of questions and get answers from people who started in exactly the same way you are. You don't need to be an engineer because you will have plenty of information there and people who can help hold your hand all the way through. Some of the people there are very mechanically savvy, and devise these incredible builds, but that is just on segment of whats there. I never saw any "shaming" going, just good people wanting to share their passion for coffee and help others learn to roast at home.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site

Home devised/built heat gun/sifter. Have it set up to give me all the control I need, very robust in build quality so any single part can be replaced quickly/affordably if needed and gives me a great view of the entire process.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Home devised/built heat gun/sifter. Have it set up to give me all the control I need, very robust in build quality so any single part can be replaced quickly/affordably if needed and gives me a great view of the entire process.

I want to set up a heat gun roaster for my own use. Michael Sivitz used to sell them with a polycarbonate tube, and advised that they were also a good substitute for a sample roaster because they were easy to use, and replicate...particularly if you plug them into a variable autotransformer like the Staco, which is what I use to control both the heating element, fan, and stirrer on my roaster.