Links to buy top espresso beans?

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
WOW! Just woke up and it seems like I've missed quite a bit. Hey there A.E. I can see you've gotten over the bug :wink: Regarding the roasters in China. I have to say, I don't know anything about the roasters there, what I do know it that I get about 3-4 requests per month from China wanting to do business with us. But as soon as the talk of securing business comes to the forefront, nothing is done. On the other hand I have a number of non-commercial customers that order from us on a continous basis. Also keep in mind that the Olympics are due there soon, so a number of companies are trying to capitalize by getting coffee there. We all know that S.B.'s has made an impression there and the locals don't want to miss out. I have to agree with A.E. in searching for coffee roasters within China. I'm sure there are some good roasters there, not to mention saving yourself a lot of money on shipping costs, customs issues, not to mention the freshness issue. I can tell you from experience that our first shipments to China a few years ago involved the coffee being held up in Customs for almost a month before the customer received their coffee. That has changed over the last few years, however, it still happens every once in awhile. So I would say your best bet may be to find a local roaster and work with them to develop something for you. If that fails, then contact us :wink:

Hey CG, thanks I have FINALLY got over it. Can drink caffiene again, which is terrific. Reading back over this thread it really does hinge on the old arguement- is a famous, well branded product really better than a well made, local one? I think that all the roasters onboard come accross this everyday. When the marketing guys are out and about they always come up against the question "what makes your coffee better than...xyyyItalian brand?" At the end of the day the proof is in the cup, and I guess that is the way that most of us end up convincing cafe owners, or at least knowledgeabe ones, that fresh is the way to go. I will PM you a funny little story CG, believe it or not its true! :grin:

pstam

Jan 7, 2005
China
Visit site
Alun_evans said:
Reading back over this thread it really does hinge on the old arguement- is a famous, well branded product really better than a well made, local one?

If I remember right, I got a name of Chinese roaster for tasting their blends.

Anyway, the result is what?

I had contact with them years ago, and familiar to their clients, and the taste of their blends. Brewing skills are bad, and the blends are not as bad as the skill, but surely not good. In most case, due to the bad brewing result, you cannot even compare the mouthfeel and taste as usual the espresso had strong burnt or smoke taste.

I said I know them, and in fact I surely know them very well. If I do not even know them, how can I compare the taste of our espresso?

I even advised the local agent for Illy to change the machines pressure for a coffee shop of my friend, but they do not accept it; and that coffee shop cannot make better espresso. But surely I can help them to make it better. I have a student working there as the key barista. For his work, the espresso can be made better, but not perfect.

For other roasters, I know some of them but more of them surely know me. So, you do not have to tell them my name. As I said, they surely know me for years.

pstam

Jan 7, 2005
China
Visit site
Alun_evans said:
Hello again Pstam. Are you going to be at the Shanghai (China) Coffee Expo in July? If so I would certainly be intrigued to meet you. Let me know.

Sorry. I do expect to meet you there, but right now we are planing some special thing to do for this year. So I do not have time to go to Shanghai. But maybe I will be there this July.

If our project can be realized, I must inform you and it can be a surprise for you. But now it is just the very beginning and I am not quite sure it can be realized. So, I have no word to say about it yet. Maybe later I can tell you something even when it was not be realized.

pstam

Jan 7, 2005
China
Visit site
Alun_evans said:
Good luck to you with the project. I may have a chance to get to Beijing as well...if you are around will let you know. SHanghai is booming at present..are you doing business there too?

Not yet. But if I go, I shall let you know. Or by chance, you may come to Beijing.

pstam

Jan 7, 2005
China
Visit site
BTW, I would suggest you to come to Shanghai in July for another exhibition mainly for coffee, while this one in this April is for the Hotel Appliance, not specially for coffee. And the one in this July is an international exhibition, but the on ein this April is a local exhibition.

In any case, I would suggest you to visit Beijing to meet us, if possible.