Logging Software Pros Please Reply

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Mr. Peaberry,
I'd check the Typica documentation to answer your question.
Typica - Data for Coffee Roasters
The Diedrich setup would vary based on what you choose to have them install. I had a couple of options, but the Phidget module which provides a connect between the thermocouplers and the PC and which are compatible with the Artisan software. I haven't looked into physically doing this myself from a technical perspective since I thought it would be easier to have Diedrich install this at the factory (I didn't want to start drilling and physically modifying my IR1), so I can't advise on the technical part.
I will say that Artisan doesn't have all the functionality I'd want if I was a high production shop like tracking inventory. I'd like a way to track gas pressure as well but I haven't found an easy way to do that yet so I do that on in a roast log. Looks like Typica has more of those features but that one might want if they want to track inventory, etc.

Thanks Amhas, I appreciate your insight. I already am biased toward the Typica software for the reasons you give, thanks for the link!

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Man, I thought I was just asking about logging software . . . how did we ever got so far off track? I've never learned so much about circuit boards and thermocouples in my life :decaf:

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Lol expat! Logging software is your friend! Before you know it, you'll be using all these controls with wireless connection, and doing your roasting while sitting in your jacuzzi sipping a margarita!

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
In a home roaster who went from chart logging to Artisan last year. But I'm a huge fan of Cropster, which my local roaster uses. (They switched from RoastLog). Cropster is cloud based and has a lot of cool features just in the logging section. Like a running "Rao" development % box, easy to read display numbers, easy note taking, etc. Beyond the logger are numerous functions, graphical displays, and little user friendly features. And they are getting into connecting green sourcing and roasters.

Take a look at some of their videos for a better understanding.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
I have been using the Typica for about a month now, and its way better than the Artisan sotware, in my opinion. You can track inventory, look back into your roast database and recall/review any roast, and I feel like is a bit more accurate. It also has an ROR functionality which really helps to smooth your roast curve and let you know if you're on or off track. Most of the functions are all customizable and you're a programmer at all, you can basically add whatever youd like.

Capture.PNG

Amhas

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I have been using the Typica for about a month now, and its way better than the Artisan sotware, in my opinion. You can track inventory, look back into your roast database and recall/review any roast, and I feel like is a bit more accurate. It also has an ROR functionality which really helps to smooth your roast curve and let you know if you're on or off track. Most of the functions are all customizable and you're a programmer at all, you can basically add whatever youd like.

View attachment 5452
Artisan has the same/similar ROR function. I'm certainly interested in why it is way better though if you have done a comparison of the two based on only the roasting functionality (I'm not worried about the inventory tracking). The problem I noted is that I would need a new board and possibly probes to use Typica.

Amhas

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
In a home roaster who went from chart logging to Artisan last year. But I'm a huge fan of Cropster, which my local roaster uses. (They switched from RoastLog). Cropster is cloud based and has a lot of cool features just in the logging section. Like a running "Rao" development % box, easy to read display numbers, easy note taking, etc. Beyond the logger are numerous functions, graphical displays, and little user friendly features. And they are getting into connecting green sourcing and roasters.

Take a look at some of their videos for a better understanding.
Cropster is nice but way to expensive with a monthly fee of $75/month. I'd be better off buying my coffee roasted and reselling it... ok maybe a bit of an exaggeration but it is certainly not an option for a small operation or home roaster. I'm very thankful for Artisan and others that have shared their efforts.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Artisan has the same/similar ROR function. I'm certainly interested in why it is way better though if you have done a comparison of the two based on only the roasting functionality (I'm not worried about the inventory tracking). The problem I noted is that I would need a new board and possibly probes to use Typica.

Amhas,

Aside from the inventory logging, I like it better for two main reasons:
-The interface is better; I can watch data coming in live on a split screen (half graph, half chart) if I want.
-Every roast is recorded in a database with all of the information, including the weight loss.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
My TCs are connected directly to the roaster (Diedrich had an option for a thermocouple USB port), I do know they are the Phidget 1048, K Type though. I have 4 TCs that measure Bean, Drum, Exhaust and Ambient temp. I only find the bean temp very useful. The drum temp helps when charging, but other than that I never pay attention to the others.

I hear great things about Cropster, but can't justify the steep pricing.

Hey John,

I'm pretty set on using Typica for my roasting. My preference would be to use the TC4 system because of the drivers that can automate the roasting, but I don't think Typica is compatible with TC4, and if not, I would then purchase a Phidget 1048 board to interface between the thermocouples and computer. Is it your understanding that if I later wanted to add automation, that I could do so with the addition of a PID controller? Or would I have to replace the Phidget board as well?

Peaberry

Amhas

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Amhas,

Aside from the inventory logging, I like it better for two main reasons:
-The interface is better; I can watch data coming in live on a split screen (half graph, half chart) if I want.
-Every roast is recorded in a database with all of the information, including the weight loss.

Interesting John. I don't see using the split screen, unless I get a 30 inch monitor. ;)
The roast recorded in a DB is not a plus in my opinion unless you're a capable DBA and the DB is open to physically manage. I'd prefer to stick with a simple file base database, they are generally faster and more portable on a small scale and I won't be "big" anytime soon. I do have a couple issues (bug/quirky behavior) with Artisan which caused me to losing a roast profile before saving it but I know how they occur and how to avoid that so I don't consciously even think about it anymore. But it was very frustrating a few times losing a roast log.
I hope to have some time one day to check Typica out though.
Good luck!

N3Roaster

Feb 29, 2016
Racine, WI
Visit site
Hello, I see that there's some discussion of Typica happening here and thought I'd chime in as the person who wrote that program with a couple of clarifications.

Typica doesn't work with the TC4 and doesn't currently attempt to do much with control. You can set a set point if you're using something that speaks Modbus RTU (granted, you could program an Arduino+TC4 to speak Modbus RTU and then that would work, but I haven't seen anybody do that yet), but that's a very primitive control capability. I don't currently have hardware to test with that lets me sensibly work on anything nicer in the way of control automation so that's not a development priority at the moment, though something nicer for control is certainly on my wish list.

I've lately been recommending the Phidgets 1048 for new installations. The quality of measurements is good and fast enough, the cost is reasonable, and it's broadly supported both in terms of OS (easy to get going on Mac/Windows/Linux) and other software (if you don't like Typica, you can use Artisan. On the pay side it's working with Cropster and RoastLog, maybe others as well). You can certainly use both a Phidgets 1048 and a PID controller that speaks Modbus RTU at the same time if you wanted to do that.

As for files vs. database, you can certainly use Typica without the database, saving and loading files on the file system. This is what Typica 1.0 did and that's still supported, but you do lose most of the features that distinguish Typica from other options by doing that. You won't have any kind of reporting that way and it's easier to mistakenly load the wrong roasting plan that way. The database it uses is PostgreSQL which is open source and I've tried to keep the schema understandable, but I've tried to keep the administrative requirements as minimal as possible. It can be as simple as downloading and running an installer, clicking next a few times, and remembering what password you chose, then letting Typica take care of the rest, perhaps with a simple upgrade every few years if a future release uses newer database features. If you're spending a lot of time querying the database directly or connecting with a spreadsheet program, that probably indicates a deficiency in Typica that I'd want to hear about.

If anybody has questions or problems about Typica specifically, it's always fine to contact me directly by email (which the forum is not letting me post here, but it's not hard to find).

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi Neal, and thanks for jumping in on this discussion. I am delighted to know you are available via email. Welcome to the coffee forums, I look forward to learning from you going forward.

Peaberry