Looking for a Chicago Indy...

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
I will be taking a trip to Chicago July 15-18th and would love to be able to stop in and see some operations in the Chicago area. When I look on the web, mostly I see Charbucks stores. Any suggestions?

Chicago is a great city, enjoy your trip.

Intelligentsia Coffee is a "must see" for you - they have a few cafe's and a roastery. Intelly's "Black Cat" espresso is very popular. Perhaps more interesting are some of their special purchase coffees such as Cup of Excellence auction lots.
Metropolis is a great independent roaster. Their "Redline Espresso" is well-balanced and makes a nice beverage component.

When you are travelling, you might try the cafe locator that I use. It won't highlight roasting facilities (unless they operate cafe's), but it lists *$ and independent cafe's. Some of the cafe's are dull, but some are interesting...and you strike me as someone who can learn from other's mistakes as well as their successes. I found Coffee Hound in Bloomington Il. and Alterra in Wisc. by the delocator and they were both quality purveyors of fresh coffee.
delocator.net
delocator.ca

Thanks, Matt...

Someone did put me in touch with Tony @ Met. So, I'm excited to see them. I have to see about Intelligentsial though. I was hoping to get in n a tour to see their roasting, but I don't know if it will happen. I can always just stop in for a cap, though.

When I visit a town, I like to drink my way through it (coffee-wise!). I just realized how that read. LOL

Had an awesome trip! Visited Metropolis (I am not worthy!) and Intelligentsia. I also stopped at another little indy place in Boystown that was pretty neat. Visited a Carabou, which was awful. We don't have nay near us, so it was a novel thing. Loved the decor, but not the espresso. My time there was a little limited but I did have a great experience.

Back