Looking for espresso machine suggestions

JulianTheApostate

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Hello coffeelovers!
This is my first post on the forum, but I've been lurking for a while. I work voluntarily as manager for a student-café at the University of Oslo. I don't have any experience professionaly, and everything I know about coffee I have learned through working here and the internett.

Lately we have internally been discussing the posibility of getting a new espresso machine. At the moment we have an Expobar monroc 2 group (you can perhaps google it for more information). The machine works decently, but we think it might be time to get a better, more professional machine.
I have 2 questions. The first is how long an espresso machine is expected to last? We have had ours for about 6 years now. The second question is what espresso machine you guys recommend? As mentioned we are a voluntarily run café, so we don't have all the money in the world. Maybe someone has any suggestions for a machine that costs maximum 6 000 $, and preferably a bit less.
If nothing else, I would appreciate any information I could get on espressomachines in general, and what makes one machine different from another. Thank you.

tldr: Looking for suggestions for an espresso machine that costs up to 6 000$ and preferably less.

friedcoffee

Jan 12, 2016
India
Visit site
$6000 is probably enough budget for a good espresso machine. You are going to spare some money too. I guess you are looking for a machine that suits at cafes; go for Nuova Simonelli. It's best for cafes and have variants according to needs.

JulianTheApostate

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I realize that the price I've set might be a bit high because I'm converting from Norwegian prices. When you mention the simonelli, are you thinking about the Appia II or the more expensive Aurelia II? What makes these machines better than the Faemas or the LaCimbalis, just to mention a few?

sasha89

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Highly recommend you to drop your attention on the Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine. According to a lot of reviews, this espresso machine is the best pick.

This thing is amazing. It basically gives me coffee-shop quality lattes in the comfort of my own home.

The grinder works well, the steam wand produces perfect microfoam, and the shots are consistent and delicious. The only part I don't like is emptying and cleaning the tray (a necessary evil), as well as the grounds that stay on the head (maybe I'm doing something wrong, there).

But, this is a splendid machine that will pay for itself in about two months. (Assuming two lattes a day, at an average value of $5, with the price of beans at $14 a bag for about 20 lattes worth. Not very scientific, but the point is that it completely replaces coffeeshops, for me.)

sasha89

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Highly recommend you to drop your attention on the Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine. According to a lot of reviews, this espresso machine is the best pick.

This thing is amazing. It basically gives me coffee-shop quality lattes in the comfort of my own home.

The grinder works well, the steam wand produces perfect microfoam, and the shots are consistent and delicious. The only part I don't like is emptying and cleaning the tray (a necessary evil), as well as the grounds that stay on the head (maybe I'm doing something wrong, there).

But, this is a splendid machine that will pay for itself in about two months. (Assuming two lattes a day, at an average value of $5, with the price of beans at $14 a bag for about 20 lattes worth. Not very scientific, but the point is that it completely replaces coffeeshops, for me.)

JulianTheApostate

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site

Looks like a very nice machine. Maybe i'll consider it for mye home. Although I think we might be looking for something abit more professional for our café. As i said, we have a budget of $6000, hehe

friedcoffee

Jan 12, 2016
India
Visit site
Consider looking at machines from Jura. These all might be Super Espressos and will give you professional drinks at home. I have already made few selections from them...Top 5 Super Automatic Espresso Machines.
Then again, there is Saeco which is also a good option. Jura Giga 5 is going to take away whole of your budget whereas Impressa Z9 will save some.