Making your coffee stronger and more flavorful?

richedie

New member
Jan 25, 2005
130
0
What is the best way to strengthen your coffee at home? It seems in my opinion that the best method is to add more grounds. I have tried over grinding for a finer grind but that doesn't always yield the best results. Lately I have moved away from the automatic drips to using a manual drip at home and it seems to allow me more control over the water temperature, drip rate and brew time. I feel I am making some of the most flavorful coffee of my life. There are still times where I want it stronger and I am experimenting with the amount of grounds. For example, rather than the normal 8 tablespoons I'll use for making two 10-12 mugs, I'll add an aditional tablespoon.

Thanks for any comments.
 

mrgnomer

New member
Jan 22, 2006
149
0
Canada
richedie said:
What is the best way to strengthen your coffee at home? It seems in my opinion that the best method is to add more grounds. I have tried over grinding for a finer grind but that doesn't always yield the best results. Lately I have moved away from the automatic drips to using a manual drip at home and it seems to allow me more control over the water temperature, drip rate and brew time. I feel I am making some of the most flavorful coffee of my life. There are still times where I want it stronger and I am experimenting with the amount of grounds. For example, rather than the normal 8 tablespoons I'll use for making two 10-12 mugs, I'll add an aditional tablespoon.

Thanks for any comments.

Using a french press with a med grind dosed high and steeping for 3+min with less water than you usually do will get you strong coffee. If it's too strong you can always dilute it with some water without affecting it's quality. Grinding finer or steeping longer could lead to over extraction so while the coffee might taste stronger it also could be bitter.

I just got an Aerobie Aeropress and if you use the scoop it comes with to measure out your beans and follow their dosing and steeping directions you'll get a strong cup with a character closer to espresso than french press or vacuum. My wife likes strong tasting coffee and she finds the Aeropress tasty. The steep/extraction time is also shorter than other methods if you follow the directions and the paper filters it comes with are pretty fine so I don't think you're pulling out a lot of caffeine and the coffee oils are also picked up by the filter so the cup is smooth.

Other than up dosing with the grinds the only other way to get stronger tasting coffee would be to get into espresso.
 
OP
R

richedie

New member
Jan 25, 2005
130
0
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #5
I didn't think a filter pulled out caffeine. I have heard that most filters remove the oils from the coffee which supposedly supply a lot of the flavor. However, I have made strong, flavorful coffee with a manual drip!
 

mrgnomer

New member
Jan 22, 2006
149
0
Canada
richedie said:
I didn't think a filter pulled out caffeine. I have heard that most filters remove the oils from the coffee which supposedly supply a lot of the flavor. However, I have made strong, flavorful coffee with a manual drip!

No, I don't think the filter pulls out caffeine. Caffeine as far as I know is water soluable but it doesn't like to let go of the bean. In a long extraction caffeine will be pulled out but in short extractions like a 25sec espresso pull or a 10sec stir, 20sec plunge for the Aerobie, theoretically not as much caffeine will dissolve out as with a longer extraction.

The filter screens out the coffee oils which, I think, accounts for the smooth taste of the Aerobie coffee. Some are trying to fit the Aerobie with coarser screens that let the oils through. There's talk about screen options for the Aerobie for those who want the oils in the cup.
 
OP
R

richedie

New member
Jan 25, 2005
130
0
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #7
Maybe I'll stick with my three methods.....manual drip for strong and smooth, French Press (soon to be Tirra) for thick, full, almost espresso like coffee, and Percolator for a nice hot, strong cup.
 

mrgnomer

New member
Jan 22, 2006
149
0
Canada
richedie said:
Maybe I'll stick with my three methods.....manual drip for strong and smooth, French Press (soon to be Tirra) for thick, full, almost espresso like coffee, and Percolator for a nice hot, strong cup.

I've found all the hands on, 'fully manual' methods are excellent for making a good cup of coffee. I think it's all about the extraction and if you brew in the ideal water temp range, fully saturate your grinds and hit a good steep time then if your grind is even and your beans are fresh you'll beat most every drip machine for coffee qualtiy.

Using a good heap of fine grinds, brewing at a lower water temp than say a french press and generating some pressure during the extraction does make for a different tasting cup with the Aeropress. I got one because the price is good and I wanted to try it out. It's all plastic, the filters are washable and reusable up to 20 times according to the inventor, it's easy to clean, it brews pretty quick and it'll give you a base for milk based drinks that's not espresso but more espresso like than other brewing methods. It's also light and doesn't take up too much space so it would be great for travelling. All in all, if you're into coffee and want to try something new, it's a good investment for the return.
 

jkp

New member
Jun 9, 2006
5
0
Another vote here for more grounds. You need to find the amount that is good for you.
 
OP
R

richedie

New member
Jan 25, 2005
130
0
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #10
This is one reason I find manual drip such a good method....I can grind fine and control the drip process, etc....and also use more grounds for a strong, yet smooth cup! I hear people say that French Press, etc is better and I know about the oils coming through to the cup but it doesn't seem to make that big a difference........although you can buy new filters that allow more oils through. Manul drip is kind of a pain though for a lot of people.

Anyone think there are any good small (8 cup) drip machines on the market at a good price?
 

Latest posts

Top