My new Rocket Mozzafiato type V

Pangloss

Apr 30, 2023
Virginia
Visit site
Thought I would post my feelings on my Mozzafiato now that I have had it one month. This is my first "real" espresso machine. I have used a $200 Capresso machine for 4 years, and thought it was time to step-up up my game.
  • espresso machine: Rocket Mazzafiato type V (vibration pump)
  • grinder: Fiorenzato F4 nano

The bad...
1) The cover on the water take is dangerous. Really. Day 2, I cut my thumb on it just taking off the lid to add water. It was a good sized slice, not just a little paper cut. See my bloodythumb pic.
2) I modified the water tank cover and added a chrome knob. I like it much better. One could make a valid argument that a machine that cost that much should not need modifications right out of the box. I would agree. See my pic of the machine with the knob I added. Look for a small chrome knob on the water tank lid.
3) I sent a picture of my injury to rocket USA. They chose not to respond.
4) the water tank cover has other design flaws. when you take set it on the counter, the entire interior surface of the cover makes contact with the counter. The issue is that inevitably coffee grounds, sugar, etc, stick to the inside (or bottom) of the cover. When you place the cover back on the water tank, that debris will fall into the tank. Really a stupid design. By making the four posts on each corner of the cover just 1/64" on an inch longer, the cover would sit on the legs and not the interior of the cover. problem solved. I don't understand how Rocket could release a product with a design flaw like this. Do they ANY user feedback? Probably not, since they don't respond to customer comments.
5) I chose not to spend the extra for the rotary pump. Unlike some machines, the Mozzafiato with rotary pump will work with the built in water tank and does not need to be plumbed into a water line. The vibration pump is very noisy and just sounds...how shall I put it...clumsy, loud, and stupid. I wish I would have spent the extra money and bought the rotary pump. The Mozzafiatto was, for me, an expensive purchase. I chose the vibration pump to save a few hundred dollars.
6) The little LED indicates the water is hot. However, the E61 group head is still cold. I'm not sure when it's REALLY warmed up and ready. caveat: I should double check the manual. maybe I have missed something.
7) The drip tray is so much smaller than it should be. There appears to be adequate room for the designers to have made the drip tray larger, but they chose not to. When the 3-way solenoid valve kicks in and drains the group head, it will splash coffee on the counter unless the drip tray is empty.

The good...
1) It looks so amazing. People see it on my counter and 500 questions - even people who don't drink coffee.
2) I can pull some damn fine shots with this machine. (in my opinion)
3) The E61 head really makes a difference. If I pull the first shot before it's fully warmed, I can taste the difference. however, for that first shot in the AM, I'm not sure how to tell when the grouphead is warmed up. (see number 6, above).
4) the built-in shot timer is soooo useful. Maybe an experience barrista would not need it, but I find VERY useful. I often make a modified lunga, and pull the shot for 45 seconds or so.
5) The PID display, tucked away behind the drip tray, is super a great feature.
6) steamer...man, this thing will heat up milk in a hurry.
7) The 3-way valve is a must have. My old $200 machine did not have a 3 way valve, and scraping out the coffee every time is a major PITA.

Even though I like the Mozzifiato, the design issues really bother me. GIven the price they charge, I expected better. However, this is my first high end machine. Maybe they all have flaws. I am really annoyed that I contacted the US HQ and sent them my picture of my thumb injury, and they chose not to respond.

Overall, If I were to but another sub $2500 machine, I would skip Rocket and look elsewhere. If I were in the market for a pro-sumer dual boiler machine, I would still skip Rocket. What kind of company does not respond when you inform them of an injury caused by their machine??

Attachments

• rocket & grinder.jpg
    rocket & grinder.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 108
  • bloodyThumb.jpg
    bloodyThumb.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 75
  • rocketwithhandle.jpg
    rocketwithhandle.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

MarcBeck

Top Poster Of Month
Sep 17, 2023
Hawaii
Visit site
Hi Pangloss, I have a Cellini with a vib pump and it used to make a racket. About 2 years back the pump failed (the machine was 5 years old), and I replaced the pump - no big deal. About 4 months back I noticed a few things (e.g. hot water wand dripped, machine didn't heat as fast as it used to), and I decide to descale the machine. I've used tap water in ever since I purchased it so it seemed like a good idea. I followed the directions in a video I found on how to descale a Giotto and that fixed the dripping hot water wand and flow issue BUT after descaling the machine seemed louder. SO...I pulled the cover off and ran the pump. What I noticed was the side branch of the pump rests against a fitting on the boiler which amplifies the vib sound. The pump is mount in 2 rubber vibration dampeners, and I was able to turn the dampeners around which moved the pump 1/16" away from the fitting and now it's significantly quieter!! It's not whisper quiet but it's not deafening either.

Oh, as for your sharp water tank cover I had a sharp spot on the drip tray (I never got cut by it) and took a light weight file to it. It didn't take more than 30 seconds to remove the sharp burr on the edge that was sharp.

Good luck

Enigma-2

Oct 26, 2023
Indiana
Visit site
A machine that costs $2,500 shouldn't have any sharp edges. Shows that the manufacturer doesn't have any quality control.

So many manufacturers are cutting corners now (like Boeing Aircraft where the doors fall off a brand new airplane .... cough).

I'm on blood thinners. A cut like that would have sent me to the emergency room. (My second stop would have been to a lawyer.)

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
A machine that costs $2,500 shouldn't have any sharp edges. Shows that the manufacturer doesn't have any quality control.

So many manufacturers are cutting corners now (like Boeing Aircraft where the doors fall off a brand new airplane .... cough).

I'm on blood thinners. A cut like that would have sent me to the emergency room. (My second stop would have been to a lawyer.)
Well thing is some companies pride themselves on having a hands-on craftsman design/build quality and not always about the price point or cost cutting. My machine is the Rancilio Silvia Pro and a bit of an expense and even though it's refined over the original Silvia those same sharp edges, etc. remain. No problem for me as I simply respect the craftsmanship/high quality stainless used, wear gloves if needed for some parts and it's all good. Granted some people expect an espresso machine to be room art and flawless in design, but that's not my thing by a long shot.

Enigma-2

Oct 26, 2023
Indiana
Visit site
I expect any sharp edge exposed to be dulled. I don't expect a machine that costs $,$$$ to injure me.

I expect any consumer machine to have used due diligence in it's construction. Just like any cheap machine has.

Like I said, I'm on blood thinners and a deep cut can send me to the er.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I expect any sharp edge exposed to be dulled. I don't expect a machine that costs $,$$$ to injure me.

I expect any consumer machine to have used due diligence in it's construction. Just like any cheap machine has.

Like I said, I'm on blood thinners and a deep cut can send me to the er.
In that case stick with appliance grade plastic/cheap formed wannabe stainless like Breville, etc.