Need help finding a relay, Finder 65.23 or something comparable for Cimbali Bistro 2 (early 90s)

F9zSlavik

Feb 9, 2024
San Diego
Visit site
So
I got the machine to work!
I took the old relay to a radio repair place and he compared the new relay to it. Told me how to wire it. Apparently, all you have to do is just follow the connections. The machine appears to be working, but I know have a new issue.

Before I figured out that the relay was bad, I had almost fried the mainboard when it started leaking water. The machine is drowning itself and I am not sure why its doing that. It was working fine before and out of the blue, it started thinking there was any water! I cleaned the sensor rods (there are 2), and its still doing it. I attach the connection to those rods directly to the boiler so that they are grounded, and its still is pulling water. So I am thinking, maybe the wire for the sensor is bad. Anyone else have any other ideas that I can check for?

Enigma-2

Oct 26, 2023
Indiana
Visit site
So
I got the machine to work!
I took the old relay to a radio repair place and he compared the new relay to it. Told me how to wire it. Apparently, all you have to do is just follow the connections. The machine appears to be working, but I know have a new issue.

Before I figured out that the relay was bad, I had almost fried the mainboard when it started leaking water. The machine is drowning itself and I am not sure why its doing that. It was working fine before and out of the blue, it started thinking there was any water! I cleaned the sensor rods (there are 2), and its still doing it. I attach the connection to those rods directly to the boiler so that they are grounded, and its still is pulling water. So I am thinking, maybe the wire for the sensor is bad. Anyone else have any other ideas that I can check for?
You found a radio repair shop???? ((Blown away)). When I was in electronics school in 1966, I also worked in radio/TV repair shop. I haven't seen one of those since TV's went flat screen (less expensive to throw the dead set away than to have it repaired.) Great news you got the relay issue fixed.

As for the new problem, it started when the new relay was installed. Ummmmm. ((It started when the new relay was installed.))

Not certain as to what the exact problem is. Is the machine leaking water internally?

F9zSlavik

Feb 9, 2024
San Diego
Visit site
There still a few in Mexico that fixes old school radios tv's and some modern electronics. I live in San Diego so living next to a 3rd world country has its perks.

That's a GREAT question. Not sure if the problem started before the relay replacement. Wondering if maybe I have the wiring wrong and its turning on the coils thus opening up the valves. I would have to connect the old relay to check.

When I thought I ha the machine working, I took off the tray as I was working on it, walked away and let it sit there idle but on. When I came back, my girl had told me the machine started leaking water through the 3 way valve but since it didnt have a tray, it landed on the board. I took the board to go get checked out, its fine. So the question is, was it drowning itself before or was it just excess water it was letting out before.

I have more testing i need to do.

THank for bouncing ideas back at me

Enigma-2

Oct 26, 2023
Indiana
Visit site
It sounds logical. You really need a schematic for the machine. Still recommend contacting a service dealer to see if they can find an oem relay or copy of the schematic. Like shooting in the dark without one.

If I were to try to figure it out, I'd start by ohming (ohm is a setting on a VOM meter that measures resistance) out the existing relay to determine which contacts are connected to the coils (coil would show resistance whereas the other contacts would either be 0 ohms or infinity. Then energize the coil (to close the coil) and ohm out each contact in relation to all other contacts. Use this to draw a schematic of the relay. Whit the relay contact in a energized position, there is no voltage on them, just switch contacts open or closed). I'd also to this without energizing the coil to determine the unenergized positions of the contacts.

The relay should have certain information printed on it as the voltage rating of the coil. If not, once you know which contacts triggers the coil, set the meter to ac voltage and measure the voltage on the wires connected to the coil terminals. (My guess is, 120 vac.)

Once you know how the contacts are connected internally, you should be able to select a usable relay and how to connect it.

(Personally, I still try contacting one or more dealers to see if they can help.)

Last edited: