New to the coffee world

Capulus

Nov 16, 2007
Houston
Visit site
Hi everyone! I''m new to this forum and the coffee world. After retiring from the US Army and trying many ventures in the past, , I finally decided to chase after something I felt passionate about, and that is coffee. I''m very exited, but like any other business it must be done the right way. I''m trying to decide if I should start with ROASTING first or buying wholesale so that I can retail via a website?? Anybody start this way?? Is there a big difference in price??
I really need some input from your experience, please. All I need is to be pointed into the right direction. I live in Houston,TX and I''m having a hard time finding a good local roaster.
I did''t know so many people had a passion for coffee. This forum is great.
Thanks in advance and I look forward to all your inputs, and to adventures to come. :D

KnappCap

Oct 28, 2007
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Hey, welcome to the coffee world, it's a great world to be in :) Roasting is a great direction to go. The only thing is that it will definitely take a lot of time and investment before you will feel comfortable roasting at a quality level. So if you are looking to immediately be in the business, roasting may be something that you want to ease in on the side until you get to the point where you believe your roasting a top quality product. Are you looking at just selling coffee with online sales? Or are you wanting to open a shop?

Good Luck to ya

Capulus

Nov 16, 2007
Houston
Visit site
KnappCap,
Thanks for you're responce. I have been thinking about waiting until I gain alot more experience in roasting and selling my own, so you're probably right. I'm barely trying to get this off the ground, and so far I really want to concentrate in resale and a good and loyal clientele.
I saw your website via you're link and the coffee shop looks very nice.
Have you been in business for a long time?? Hey catch you later.

KnappCap

Oct 28, 2007
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The current Moon Monkey Shop has been in business for nearly 2 years. I've only been with the company for about a year and I work as a manager. One of the co-owners of the shop, Trevor, roasted for about 2-3 years and studied the art for even longer before the shop opened. So by the time we opened and were roasting on a higher scale, there was a good quality of bean already being produced.

I'm glad you liked our website. Most of it is actually really old, we should be having a new site in the next week or two that you'll have to check out. One area that we do keep updated though is our coffee offerings, just so that you know that's current. Let me know if you need anything else.

Other good source to check out for learning more on roasting is the roasters guild or coffee geek.