Now That Mickey D's Is Goin' All Specialty On Us...

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello again,

You're right....the calories can get out of hand even when you're just getting a salad.

I just get the Premium Caesar Salad with Crispy Chicken, and I don't use any salad dressing. The salad has 350 calories all by itself. That's plenty for me.

What I really want is a Big Mac .... "Two all beef patties, special sauce, cheese, pickle, and onion, on a sesame seed bun." But then I'd have to run on the treadmill for six hours! :(

As I was looking at the food lists, I found their list of specialty coffees and with nutritional information. It looks like they are going to offer skim, 2% and whole milk selections.

http://app.mcdonalds.com/countries/usa/ ... _12_07.pdf

Rose

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Calories are always mentioned in terms of the negative. Calories from protein are good calories. It's not the chicken in the salad that you should be concerned about, but the oils used to fry it in. The cheap carb. calories from the white flour used for breading the chicken aren't so great for you either. Also, because white flour isn't technically a whole food (it's just the starchy endosperm of the wheat grain) it's not a good thing to consume either.

If you have a good metabolism and are active, you NEED more calories. Calories are fuel. Even fat calories are essential for life. A portion of the wheat grain has fat, that being the germ of the grain. A salad can be full of calories, but they are friendly calories. :D

So Rose, I'm curious, how fast was your salad? :wink:
That doesn't mean anything, I'm just playing with you.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Ed,

The fast food salad was kinda fast....It took me longer to eat the salad than to get it.

I know I shouldn't get the crispy chicken...but it's a compromise between really wanting a Big Mac, French Fries, and a Vanilla Shake and being "good" and just getting a salad.

Just like I hate the taste of a Cappuccino when it's made with non-fat milk, so when I'm craving a Cappuccino, I wait until I've been "good" for a while and then I treat myself to a better one.

HEY? What happened to the coco-puffs that were all around your coffee cup??

Rose

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
PinkRose said:
HEY? What happened to the coco-puffs that were all around your coffee cup??

Rose

I ate them Rose and I didn't gain any weight either. I developed a mean fat burning metabolism when I was younger, through lots of exercise and running track. Now, nothing I eat puts a single pound on me. I've been the exact weight for over twenty years now. Weird but true..... :D

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Rose, you're making me crave fast food.

And darn it, if you didn't say vanilla shake too......

I'm off to visit the King of flame broiled burgers now.

I'll give him your regards. :D

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Ed,

You are too cruel!!

I'd take a Burger King Whopper with Cheese over a McDonald's Big Mac any day. Oh yeah ...I'd have to have the vanilla shake too.

But, instead I had low- fat yogurt and grapes!

Okay...Now I'm grumpy.

Rose

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Heeheehee. You know, I just got back from having one of their new steak & potato & onion burgers. I forget what they're calling it, but it was good.

It's too cold here, so I didn't get the shake. It's still in the 30's during the day and it's April already!

BK also has better coffee, in my opinion. I think the Newman's Own at McDonald's could grow on me if I give it a fighting chance..........

GreenDude

Feb 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
I like most drive-thru coffee! however when its a multinational fast food chain I feel somewhat discouraged at the quality.

I have had the newer coffee they offer, it really isnt that bad. It reminds me of a 15/16 screen brazil, with a dash of guat. I would like to know what it is one of these days :eek:

As far as the espresso, iced coffee, etc... they are serving it in my town now. I also heard that each franchisee had to pay $100,000 to remodel every location!! I also heard a lot of them didnt want to do it, but the powers that be forced them too.

ABM...I hope you didnt take it wrong what I said, I'm all for the Indy!!!! Go get there customers!!!!!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi GreenDude

What is guat? Is it short for Guatemalian?

I can't imagine a franchise paying $100,000 just to make room for a couple pieces of extra equipment like an espresso machine and grinder. I hope the coffee drinks are decent. It would be such a waste.

If you ever get a chance to try McDonald's new creations, please let us know.

Rose

GreenDude

Feb 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
PinkRose said:
Hi GreenDude

What is guat? Is it short for Guatemalian?

I can't imagine a frachinse paying $100,000 just to make room for a couple pieces of extra equipment like an espresso machine and grinder. I hope the coffee drinks are decent. It would be such a waste.

If you ever get a chance to try McDonald's new creations, please let us know.

Rose

yeppers, guat = guatemalan......I was just cupping some yesterday, brazil, guat, PNG, mexican chiapas.... the Brazil Guat blend was a lot like what I had at Mcd's....

A friend of mine is friends with a guy here who owns several Mcd's, and I heard them talking about it a while back....I also heard him mention that it wasnt just the machines, but new countertops, plumbing , etc... It could be mis-information, but I dont think so...

I am going to try and stop by Mcd's tomorrow and get a few "samples"...lol

As far as what I know about Cafe's and coffe-shops, basically nothing! My expertise lies in green coffee, roasting, blending, etc....But I can usually pin-point whats in a cup of joe pretty well. Anyhoo I'll let ya'll know what this stuff is like...have a great weekend!!

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
New England's McDs use Green Mountain Coffee's Newman's Own Organic. It is really quite good. If fresh beats Starbucks and DuDo anytime.

I've never liked fast food's coffee black. But I haven't tried the Newman's Own w/o cream yet.

If The Pug says it's better than Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts, then I'm sold.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi again,

Thanks "Caffe Biscotto" for clearing up another one of my questions. I was going to ask what "DuDo" was. I see by your recent post that "The Pug" was referring to Dunkin Donuts.

Sometimes I'm just a little too slow .....

Rose

Carmine Domenaco

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
CCafe said:
Carmine Domenaco said:
CCafe said:
Infringed is the wrong word to use my friend. If you truly look a lot of places have infringed upon it including Starbucks.

Uhhhh, wasn't Starbucks around at the beginning of the specialty movement? They were trained by Al Peet and despite their insane growth they are deeply rooted in specialty coffee. Erna, the grand dame and person behind the term "specialty coffee" used to sell them beans. They were among her early clients.

More than a few people would credit them with opening the door to the multitudes of small roasters/retailers who have come into being during the past 15 years.

McD's is only a threat to indy shops that are not really specialty themselves. If you serve slop and do it slowly then be concerned, if you are a quality purveyor the contrast will do you more good than harm.

My point is that Starbucks has wandered off the path they first set out on. But thats bound to happen with any company who is expanding all the time.

Infringed is one of those words that really belongs in the legal department and is where it should stay.

SBUX is well on its way to getting back on track, they bought the company that builds Clover and took it out of the hands of the industry leaders who were leaving SBUX in the dust with made to order coffee. Re-introduced the old logo, getting back to grinding in house, stamping roasted dates on the bags in plain English. Basically they are doing all of the things the innovative shops have been embracing and preaching for the past few years.

Howard is back and kicking butt. It should be interesting times for them and for the first time in years they are addressing the coffee and not the fluff around the counter (mints, stuffed toys etc..)

Schultz is one of the most competitive people I have ever met. He doesn't like to come in second and will do what it takes to win. Loosing to inyd shops let alone McDonalds is not an option, he will spend a hundred million dollars to reinvent the stores and frankly this is bad news for indy shops because his pockets are deep and his will is beyond stubborn. Think of stirring up a hornets nest.

McDonalds coffee is wretched, S&D out of North Carolina is their primary roaster and their coffees are suspect. In the NE they use Green Mountain which is marginally better, out west it is Gavina and Co. Honestly, how can you produce a consistent product when three different roasters produce your coffee? I had some on the west coast last week and it was a mess of natural Brazil and ten under Colombian. Really nasty, likely a 68 point coffee.

Latest posts