please help me finalize my espresso setup with plumbing

ovelesky

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
hi there - new to this forum; and this uniquely fascinating world of residential Espresso makers.

Me and my wife spend about 800-1000 per month on coffee, latte, cappuccino from starbucks/tim hortons. We are building a new house - and one of my specific requirements is to have an espresso maker within the household for morning/evening consumption.

Here are some base requirements I am hoping to work with

- looking for a super auto with minimum manual intervention; as we both commute and typically even a minute of spare time is a luxury with two kids in the morning.
- likely with a timer function - which self wakes itself up and then starts to prep 2 cups into a travel mug
- given its a super auto - i am hoping to have a good grinder within; cup warmer - but I have instructed my builder to have a water line roughed in to supply water to this unit on demand
- I am looking to keep this unit within a pull out shelf within a large pantry in my kitchen which will consist of wood base - but this is something that I can still change.

I've not yet finalized on cost - but I'm willing to go high enough to get a unit that suffices most of my requirement.

I am looking to get some recommendations on what is available out there that will hit as many of my requirements as possible.

PS - I did some research on the built in versions being offered by Miele, Wolf etc and found them to be fairly unrealiable and not many upsides including taste.

espressogurus

Aug 31, 2016
Baltimore, MD, USA
Visit site
Well, the best advice i can give you right now is go to this website and check out your options. This blog has done the hard work for you by reviewing the top espresso and coffee machines. All you have to do is now choose the one that best fits your budget. here is the link to it:
Commercial Espresso Machine: Complete Reviews Of Top Espresso Machines

if that above link wont work try clicking here to go the page.

ovelesky

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
do you have a budget in mind? If you had a budget then I could let you know your best choice.
Thanks for the link - I am willing to spend upwards of $4k-$5k in getting a working solution with direct line installed.

We are looking at the Quick Mill options which seem to be close to what we are looking for - any others you can think of?

espressogurus

Aug 31, 2016
Baltimore, MD, USA
Visit site
Have you looked at what Jura is offering with its one touch bean to cup espresso machine. It's prices in your range. it's not a direct line but covers everything else you want. If you're buying a machine for you home I would suggest not to go with a direct line. I've had to face problems in the past with direct line machines and it cost a lot. I went to a service call for installation of an direct line espresso machine to a cafe and completed my work as always upto my standards always double checking every wire and water pipe only to get a call at 1 am from the cafe owner. She had to break the glass door to get into her brand new cafe that was supposed to have its grand opening within a week. The cause of all this was the direct line. I can understand if its a cafe you have to have a direct line machine installed. but what had happened was that after I left one of her employees who was cleaning up somehow messed with the direct line behind the espresso machine maybe something got caught or something but the employee pulled on the rag he or she was using causing the direct line to have a weaker connections. when everyone left the cafe late at night the water pressure caused the direct line to break. The entire cafe was flooded with water cause her brand new Italian tiles to be damaged. her security system went out of order and many other electronics went to waste as well. The owner suffered a big loss and a set back. This is the reason I'm not a fan of direct line when its not absolutely necessary. Cafes - coffee shops must have direct lines machines installed obviously since they brew hundreds if not thousands of drinks a day. But if your getting a machine for your home or office I always tell my customers not to go for the direct lines machines. You never know when something can go wrong. Even your water pressure can go up or down without any notice. Plus the best part is you can easily move your machine to any part of your office or home as you desire without the hassle of having it constantly reinstalled into a new position.

To sum everything up I would never suggest a direct line for home or office. But then again your the one who will be spending the money to buy one so its up to you. I just told you my advice and what I would do. If your interested in Jura Impressa here is the link to it with its review. Jura Impressa XS90 One Touch Automatic Coffee Center Review

If you still want to go with the direct line option like you mentioned earlier then let me know here on this forum and I will dig out the best option in my opinion.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Alex Duetto lll from Chris's coffee in New York. Direct feed or you can use the reservoir it has. They are a great company for espresso machines. I have used the AD ll in a commercial setting with excellent results
about 3500. If you choose a in line systems get a quality coconut filter just before the unit

ovelesky

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Alex Duetto lll from Chris's coffee in New York. Direct feed or you can use the reservoir it has. They are a great company for espresso machines. I have used the AD ll in a commercial setting with excellent results
about 3500. If you choose a in line systems get a quality coconut filter just before the unit
thank you, alex duetto iii is a semi automatic I believe, but yes, an awesome system indeed!

ovelesky

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Have you looked at what Jura is offering ...

If you still want to go with the direct line option like you mentioned earlier then let me know here on this forum and I will dig out the best option in my opinion.
thank you for your detailed response, and your tips. I do understand that the plumbing might be a risk and limitation. I am planning on having a shut off valve which I'll be turning on/off when using/not using the unit.

ultimately, i completely understand that there are better models out there like the JURA which will give me what I want - but we're hell bent on trying to get the extra comfort factor of having 24/7 available water, having a timer to start our morning caffeine process, having a built in grinder and pid to minimize time taken to get our cup and get out of the house ASAP to go along with our day.

For these reasons, I am still holding out for a super auto with a plumbing option.

So far the Quick Mill seems to be the best option that fits my needs the most!