RAIN FACTOR?

BMWBOY713

Apr 2, 2006
San Francisco
Visit site
i am a new business owner a month old right now. We are serving the full tully's coffee line including the air pot brew and espresso drinks, including retail bean ect. We had a mediocre 1st month, but it rained 26 out of the 31 days here in San Francisco. The worst month in terms of rain for a march in san francisco recorded history. Our location is excellent but at 3.75 a sq foot we are really paying big time for the location. we were about 15-20% from breaking even the first month. but keeping in mind we are also serving food as well.

Can anyone tell me approx. how much does rain affect business, especially a constant rain? the 5 days of non rain days we had were overcast and non consecutive. just simply one day of no rain in between 5-7 days of non stop rain for the whole month of march and now april has been the same.

for us sometimes rain and sometimes warm sunshine can negatively effect business in the same way. What I found was the change in seasons that really effects business, people use this time to adjust their schedules and back on a routine, it is the routine that you are trying to tap into.

finding your way into your customers daily routine is always the goal, coffee for most drinkers is habitual. but i was wondering does anyone here have an idea of how much bad weather affects sales and revenue? a relative number would be fine 10% 20% ect

i am trying to judge our first month numbers and see how our performance was.

Hi BMWBOY713:

I don't really have any words of wisdom to offer you except to say that rain isn't a bad thing. Heck we get a lot of that stuff up here :wink: ...However, keep in mind you have only been open a month, and it's a little too soon to figure out the numbers. I might suggest creating a short term promotion taking advantage of your unusual rain fall and come up with something to stimulate the customer's interest. Maybe offer a special price until the rain breaks. Just a thought :grin:

Back