Replacement filter for Breville Cafe Roma

jpeter1093

Jun 14, 2006
Visit site
I just got this machine less than a month ago, it uses what I think is a pressurized filter. Double layer bottom with only a small outlet hole. Well, I think I ground too fine and now nothing comes out; even when I mount it empty. I have asked the company for a replacement but I think it's a bad design and will just happen again.

So, can anyone recommend a new non-pressurized filter that would fit? It seems the diameter is 53mm.

wanda

Nov 8, 2005
Visit site
I'm late, but thought I'd post just in case you were still monitoring this thread. I have a Cafe Roma and also notice the basket clogging. I have found that if I run the basket through the dishwasher, the problem resolves itself. When I notice the water flow decreasing on one side or the other, I know it's time.

rsaintarnaud

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I just got this machine less than a month ago, it uses what I think is a pressurized filter. Double layer bottom with only a small outlet hole. Well, I think I ground too fine and now nothing comes out; even when I mount it empty. I have asked the company for a replacement but I think it's a bad design and will just happen again.

So, can anyone recommend a new non-pressurized filter that would fit? It seems the diameter is 53mm.

Yes. That is the real problem with Breville : clogging of the ONE small hole on the bottom of the outer wall(bottom) of the filter.

I solved the problem by cleaning the filter thoroughly by inserting a very fine needle in the small hole, and by boiling the filter in in a solution of vinegar for 15 minutes.

To prevent future clogging by fine coffee particles, I put a piece of towel paper in the bottom of the filter before filling it with ground coffee. I use paper tissue folded in 8 that I cut as circular discs with scissors. This gives me 8 round paper filters.

I have used this method for over 2 years now, and NO MORE CLOGGINGS!

Raymond Saint-Arnaud

Hyatt

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
You can buy a single wall filter that fits from Breville. They sell a kit with a single and double shot filter for about $20.00.

It's part number SWF100. I don't think the sales rep knows it fits the Cafe Roma, but it is actually listed on the box that it is sold in.

Breville's phone number is 855-683-3535 (I'm in Canada so it may be different in the USA)