Saeco Brew-Unit problem

andruzzo

May 30, 2005
Visit site
I have the follow problem with my Saeco Royal's Brew Unit.

It grinds coffee fine, makes a cup of espresso, but sometimes when I go to make a second coffee the machine sounds like it's straining but no coffee comes out!

What I discovered is that sometimes , the coffee grinds remain on the metal filter and do not fall off and into the dreg drawer. When this happens the grinds that remain there do not allow the brew unit to make the next cup of coffee because there is too much coffee grounds there!

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what you would all think is doing this?

Could it be the coffee quality? Grease on the metal filter? Too much water?

andruzzo

May 30, 2005
Visit site
For those interested, I found out the problem:

I talked to someone at the SAECO factory and he told me that depending on the coffee, if the grind is too fine, that this can cause the grinds to 'stick' on the metal filter of the brew-unit and not 'drop' down in to the dreg drawer.

This then will not allow the next coffee cycle to work correctly and the machine will not make the next coffee, or until the grinds have fallen from the metal filter.

so BOTTOM line:

Don't use a grind of 1....a grind of 3 or 4 should be enough!

YourAce

Feb 9, 2006
Visit site
andruzzo

I bought the Italia, then found out the problems with the machine. I bought it from Whole Latte Love (WLL) and they recommended to clean the machine on a regular basis, not to fine of a grind (as you mentioned), but also mentioned to try and use a bean that emits a low amount of oil. I posted an inquiry asking for help (from the site) in what bean would be best, and I received one response indicating a light roast, or an italian roast, which generally is considered light.

Hope this help, I am still very new to this, but figured I would atleast pass on what little I have learned myself.

Hope this helps - Good Luck.

8)