Shocking comment made by coffee rep...

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Had to share... I attended a trade food show looking for suppliers. I spoke with one man who I told, "We are going to be roasting coffee beans and selling coffee and espresso based drinks." He says, "Well, we have a wide variety of coffees for you. They all come pre-ground ready to go for your coffee maker. Don't bother with grinding the whole beans. Its too much hassle." At first I was shocked :shock: but then I felt bad that this man had been robbed of a truly fresh, quality cup of coffee." The he goes on to say, "And I have lots of Starbucks products and coffees you can sell in your store, too." :evil: Ummm... ok. My husband laughed because he said my eyes just "bugged out of my head".

Nothing against anyone who doesn't roast their own coffee or uses pre-ground, I just feel that once you have freshly roasted, ground coffee, there is just nothing like it.

ElPugDiablo

Don't be too surprised. I visited three shops yesterday. Two of them actually roast on site. Unfortunately the best espresso and best dripped came from the third shop that use pods and pre-ground packages. The two so-called artisan roasters with their not so fresh coffee have no idea what they are doing. At least one of them has a very nice atmosphere.

jlyon10

Super Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Clemmons, NC
Visit site
ground coffee

I only drink ground coffee if there is nothing else. I roast my own coffee at home and other coffee just doesn't taste the same. I would never pay what Starbucks is asking for a cup of coffee. I think fresh roasted is the only way to go. I think pod coffee is for people who can't be bothered to do it right.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Now...now...LCC, we all know that you know who produces product that we all aspire to surpass in quality but not necessarily in quanity :D and also keep in mind that this company has introduced coffee to places that are just now experiencing espresso style coffees. And once tasted consumers can then compare to other places that serve other coffees. As you know the specialty coffee market is growing every year, and just as peoples taste change so do their choices. So if someone out there likes this company's coffee, let them enjoy it, fore they may not have anything to compare it with. :D

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Coffee Guy said:
Now...now...LCC, we all know that you know who produces product that we all aspire to surpass in quality but not necessarily in quanity :D and also keep in mind that this company has introduced coffee to places that are just now experiencing espresso style coffees. And once tasted consumers can then compare to other places that serve other coffees. As you know the specialty coffee market is growing every year, and just as peoples taste change so do their choices. So if someone out there likes this company's coffee, let them enjoy it, fore they may not have anything to compare it with. :D
That's really the case in my area... this is still a growing area and there are a couple of Starbuck's and of course the local convenience stores offer the crappy machine prepared drinks, but they just aren't very good. I just think once they have truly fresh coffee, and espresso drinks prepared correctly, that the difference will be obvious. We also have a Dunkin down the street from our store, but most times their coffee is very bitter.

And, BTW, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I feel like I have learned so much from all of you, even though I am still a "grasshopper".

ElPugDiablo

Coffee Guy said:
Voldemort, the dark (coffee) wizard?

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
Hassle? That all depends on the equipment and system you're using. Takes me around ten seconds for every five pounds. :D I can even do it from my living room now... or the golf course! :lol: Remote roasting... very cool. 8)

freshroast-remote-console-l.jpg