Starbucks has competition!? Shop owners, what do you think??

mcohveca

Aug 21, 2005
PA
Visit site
Hello All,
We are trying to determine the success of a new product that may compete with SBX Doubleshot, and Frappacino.
It is called Jablum Classic. Made from 100% Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee (Mavis Bank Central Factory) with cream and sugar, bottled in a sexy blue bottle.
You can see an image here: http://cohvecacoffee.com/Merchant2/merc ... y_Code=UC5

Shop owners, what do you think? Can this compete with SBX? I know that SBX sells around $90million/year worth of their bottled coffee products. There is no comparable product for coffee shops to sell(unless you are SBX!), so do you think this will do well?

Thanks,
Alex

Tact is not one of my competencies. Prepare a stiff drink before reading if you were really hoping for validation.

The name is meaningless. Jablum sounds like a basketball player or a perfume, not a coffee drink. Most people won't try it.

JBM is a very mild coffee. The flavor is very subtle unless you ruin it by overroasting so it won't hold up to milk/cream/sugar. Unless you're blending with much cheaper coffees, your cost of goods sold would be too high.

In my mind's eye, I see bottles with dust on them. If you sell more than 10,000 cases in repeat orders, I'd be impressed.

mcohveca

Aug 21, 2005
PA
Visit site
Straight forward and to the point...I like it. Nothing wrong with honesty.

Jablum is the name of the largest grower/roaster in Jamaica (JAmaica BlUe Mountain). They are going for the value added products to diversify. There is no cheap coffee put into this, all 100% JBMC.
Actually it has been selling very well. There are some major distributors picking it up, so the 10,000 cases have been exceeded.
The point of this drink is not to market to the coffee aficianados but to a larger customer base.

I thank you for your honesty and thoughts.
Alex