Third Wave Water

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
This does sound interesting and can't wait to hear some more feed back.

Just to be clear you get ten capsules per order that will treat ten gallons for $15?

Right now I use a Pur pitcher and spend over $60 a year on filters. It really does make our water taste better and I can tell as soon as they stop filtering the chlorine.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Mix with 1 gallon of RO/distilled water / shake and use :)
Mike, I am going to buy some "distilled water" today. I got plenty of bottled water, but no distilled water at home.
I am sure that you already have tried out this 3rd water.
I have a question for you.
Normally, I make AeroPress or French Press at home.

If I make one AP with bottled water and one with 3rd water/with distilled water mix, WILL I ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN TASTE? of course, given that all other factors are the same, same coffee, same ratio...etc

As you know, I am not really a novice in coffee, so if there is some significant difference, I will know.
But do you think there is some significant different (of course, favor to 3rd water)?

please give us your honest opinion on this.
thanks Mike.

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
Third Wave Water is an interesting product. The concept is sound. I am curious to see what knowledgeable coffee people, like Alex (aka ensoluna), think of the taste.

I do have a couple of questions. Do RO filtered water and distilled water taste the same to start with? How does the price per gallon of RO or distilled water plus the Third Wave Water treatment compare to bottled water?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Third Wave Water is an interesting product. The concept is sound. I am curious to see what knowledgeable coffee people, like Alex (aka ensoluna), think of the taste.

I do have a couple of questions. Do RO filtered water and distilled water taste the same to start with?
RO (reverse osmosis) water is filtered in some way and it is done to remove harmful substance and can remove 90 to 99% of most contaminants even though it is not perfect, but cost effective because RO membrane can last for years. However, when you taste it, it tastes FLAT, LIKE DISTILLED WATER.

DI water is made by boiling water, not filter system. by collecting the steam as it condenses, minerals and most contaminants/chemicals are left behind. Again, like RO, it taste FLAT because there are no minerals and big problem with taste is that it leach plastic when it is stored in a plastic container which is quite common!

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
How does the price per gallon of RO or distilled water plus the Third Wave Water treatment compare to bottled water?
3rd water powder capsules method is of course more expensive. it cost $1.50 for one capsule which is good for one gallon. when you order from 3rd water, they will charge you $10 for 10 capsules plus $5 for shipping. So, it is more expensive, however, if really, you can really taste the differences, I guess it is worth it.

but I truly think that only less than 1% of coffee drinkers should be able to tell the difference ONLY WHEN they use it for cupping or V60, Chemex with very fine, freshly roasted coffee. Basically, in my case, if I do the proper cupping procedures, maybe, I might be able to tell. (I might be wrong because I have not done it yet. but I will do the experiment after hearing more info from Mike / Musicphan).

However, if you are regular coffee drinker using regular drip coffee machine with average Joe types of regular coffee, I really highly doubt you can tell the difference between bottled water vs 3rd water capsule UNLESS they (3rd water people) actually put some sort of elements to enhance the taste buds which is not really mentioned in the website.

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
...However, if you are regular coffee drinker using regular drip coffee machine with average Joe types of regular coffee, I really highly doubt you can tell the difference between bottled water vs 3rd water capsule...

Agree. It seems to me the target market for TWW is the coffee drinker seeking the best tasting water obtainable by remineralizing, "putting the taste back in," water purified by RO or distillation. I do not know how large a market that is, but it certainly does not include a "regular coffee drinker."

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
A friend of mine has primarily been using it for pour overs... I have only used it for a comparative cup. I took 3 of my coffees, with two different waters - 3rd Wave and my local muni tap water run through a Brita filter. I figured this would be a typical 'home' scenario. I'm going to write up my thoughts and post on my blog... hopefully up next week?

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Global customized water has a similar product. Not sure of the price comparison. A combination of baking soda and Edson salts in a proper ratio will give you the same results for mineralized water. Best bottled water on the market is Volvic and Fiji. We use Optipure RO systems OP350 and add pure spring water to the processed water to give us a perfect balance.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
A friend of mine has primarily been using it for pour overs... I have only used it for a comparative cup. I took 3 of my coffees, with two different waters - 3rd Wave and my local muni tap water run through a Brita filter. I figured this would be a typical 'home' scenario. I'm going to write up my thoughts and post on my blog... hopefully up next week?
Thanks Mike. I kind of figured that it would work the best in Pour over method. Anyway, Looking forward reading your testing results Next week. thanks again.

LoveCoffeeLife

Jan 29, 2017
South Eastern USA
Visit site
This is a very interesting conversation. I'm the average coffee drinker and I don't have the pallet that say, Alex has but I do know that some tap water does have this skunky taste. So if I'm reading you guys correctly for an average coffee drinker like me the best solution is to just have a simple filter of sorts for my water?

I also wonder how things were for people back when there was no RO or filters you could buy. I'm sure regular water was a lot cleaner naturally then as well. :)

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
This is a very interesting conversation. I'm the average coffee drinker and I don't have the pallet that say, Alex has but I do know that some tap water does have this skunky taste. So if I'm reading you guys correctly for an average coffee drinker like me the best solution is to just have a simple filter of sorts for my water?

I also wonder how things were for people back when there was no RO or filters you could buy. I'm sure regular water was a lot cleaner naturally then as well. :)
you can use normal filtered or bottled water for your coffee. as far as tap water is concerned, the main problem of tap water is Chlorine in the water. Not for health reason, but chlorine will change the coffee taste big time. that is why tap water is not recommended when you make your coffee.

BTW, the Chlorine in tap water is to prevent contamination in the water and since it is very small amount (up to 4 parts per million), it does not affect your health what so ever.