Using Pre-Paid cards in your shop

jpscoffee

Nov 3, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I believe you can get the $39.00 per month deal through First Data. We use them for CC processing and gift card processing. It depends on how many swipes you think you'll do in a month. Our problem was that we were more successful than anticipated. They didn't have the monthly fee available when I started so we pay per swipe.

I will switch over the CSM someday, I just can't afford it now. We have a Squirrel system currently. The CSM has no swipe fees because you own the database. It is the best way to go. You can also put money on account with no card, have a preprogrammed order for a customer, and other neat features.

My First Data reps name is Jeffery Miller. Contact him at [email protected]. And tell him Jack from JP's sent ya. :grin:

coolbeans24

Nov 26, 2004
Visit site
I have a question on this same subjet which I haven't been able to find an answer to yet.

How are businesses able to accept credit card payments and not require a signature? Is this a choice the merchant makes or is there more to it?

For example, some quick serve restaurants I go to tell me that when my transaction is less than $10, they don't require a signature.

Anyone know something on this subject, let me know!

Thanks!

jpscoffee

Nov 3, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I know around here, and many places around the US, you can purchase gasoline and just swipe your card, no signature needed. What I learned years ago from my CC rep was that the only legal way to check identity on a CC is to compare the signature on the card with the signature of the person standing in front of you. He even told me it is against VISA/MC rules to look at a seperate ID.

Now, I don't know if rules have changed, but it is obvious that people do a lot of different things. VISA/MC also won't allow anyone to limit the amount of transaction allowed (like, minimum $10 purchase to use CC), but many places do it.

But, my guess is that no signature is either allowed in certain places or certain industries. It may even become common. I don't know what a merchant is allowed or not allowed to do, but I am sure a phone call or two would tell you.