What are the basics of being a broker (for a beginner broker) ?

IslandBrew

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I'm very new to the coffee business and have little to no clue of what i'm doing. Basically, i'm a uni student that had an opportunity to be the link between a planter and a new market. What i wanted to know is what are the basics of being a broker? Fees and Responsibilities.

Thanks!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Only one post. Troll?

It would be great if you could cut the guy a break. Suggesting that he may be a troll, this early in the game, isn't nice at all.

He joined the Forum in the early morning hours today. He created this thread at 12:22 am today. His last activity was 12:29 am, and he probably logged off and went to sleep.

Some of us visit the Forum a lot during the day, and some of us don't get around to it as often.

Give him a chance to respond.

~ Rose

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Actually I think they are sincere. I saw a post on redit asking the same question...probably the same person. Island brew...what exactly are you looking for? It's a bit of a vague question. We want to help...just need to know what you are looking for.

IslandBrew

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi Topher,
Yeah it was me on the subreddit. Basically i got an opportunity to be a link between roasters in South Africa and planters in my home country. The reason i don't really have a clue of what being a broker entails in real life (besides the vague info on the net) is because i'm still a college student and would be considered young for starting my own business.

I want to know how much would a broker charge and what are his responsibilities in the transaction?

IslandBrew

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
I have a vague idea and been doing a lot of research on the trade but i wanted to get more info from people who are actually in the business.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I would ask some people I know that are brokers but to be honest...they aren't gonna be truthful to me. I do have a friend who I buy from that might be able to help you out. Do me a favor and pm me your email and I will make the introduction.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I am not even close to being knowledgeable about this subject, however, if I were interested in brokering deals of any kind, I would look up costing on "errors and omissions" insurance. This is what realtors and real estate brokers need to have to protect against lawsuits arising from misunderstandings and misinformation...intentional or not, or negligent omissions.