What is the quality of Vietnamese coffee?

What is your vote on Vietnamese coffee quality?

• Total voters

aroaster83

Dec 30, 2012
Portland, OR
Visit site
I think some more information is required! Vietnam has traditionally produced Robusta for mass export. In country they drink robusta with condensed milk often brewing in a phin (guilty pleasure, this is a delicious drink when used with non-robusta coffees). Though the quality has been, meh at best, Vietnam is starting to produce Washed Arabica's and has been working with some folks to bring the quality up to par with the rest of the world. It will take time but I've tried some and it's not shabby.

Last edited:

Nav

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I had some terrific coffee in Vietnam... strong stuff, as with most coffee throughout Asia. With all the condensed milk and sugar, can't comment too much on the quality of the beans but boy was it a tasty preparation. I think exporting the drinks and coffee culture would be a bigger hit than the beans themselves but that's just my gut feel.

One issue my Vietnamese friend was telling me about "ground coffee" there was that it was mixed with maize and other grains to bring the cost down.... i was surprised how cheap the coffee powder was.

bthomas

May 13, 2016
Fairfax, VA
Visit site
That's a hard question to answer on a poll. Vietnam has a lot of Robusta which I'm not a fan of but they also produce Arabica. The Arabica that I've had was ok, not great but not bad either. It really depends on where is was grown and how well the processing was done.