what's a good personal roaster.

mdharris68

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
BeanGrinder said:
One more thing to research -- there have been some posts on the Internet about the tendency for the AlpenRoast to catch on fire. I'm not sure if is a problem with chaff collection or something else. Nevertheless, I'd encourage you to look into that.

-BG

I just bought the alpenroast and have used it twice. I have also seen it burn the chaff on both occasions. I opened the lid when it was smoking the most and seen a small fire in chaff tray. I wonder if the smoke from the chaff will disflavor the coffee? Both times have turned out some excellent coffee though so maybe the smoke is a normal part of the roasting process. Some of the other comments about this roaster, are the lack of seeing the beans and the inability to roast small batches, (less that 8oz at a time), without alot of experimentation. I bought it any way because it was available for a discount of about $100 us because it was brandnew in 2000 but never used. There is another available if any one is interested. $300 us plus shipping.

my2cents

T

Tom Wenzka

Alpenroast catching fire

So it''s happened to others! Mine caught fire after less than two years, despite frequent and thorough attempts to clean it, even beyond the superficial cleaning recommended in the manual and in on-line hints pages.

Because the fan PULLS the smoke and chaff out, it inevitably collects greasy residue that cannot be reached. If the design had placed the fan so that it would PUSH clean air through the roasting chamber, this would not happen.

If you have an Alpenroast, use it outdoors, away from combustibles. Once it catches fire, unplug it and cover it with an airtight and noncombustible and non-meltable container, or it will continue burning, as mine did, with collapse of the aluminum and shriveling of the plastic---a total loss.

Since then, I''ve done fairly well using the popcorn popper approach, although I expect this unit to burn out fairly quickly and also, I cannot achieve a very dark roast. Bottom line: it''s all worth it, compared to buying disappointing beans.

T

Tom Wenzka

Alpenroast catching fire

So it''s happened to others! Mine caught fire after less than two years, despite frequent and thorough attempts to clean it, even beyond the superficial cleaning recommended in the manual and in on-line hints pages.

Because the fan PULLS the smoke and chaff out, it inevitably collects greasy residue that cannot be reached. If the design had placed the fan so that it would PUSH clean air through the roasting chamber, this would not happen.

If you have an Alpenroast, use it outdoors, away from combustibles. Once it catches fire, unplug it and cover it with an airtight and noncombustible and non-meltable container, or it will continue burning, as mine did, with collapse of the aluminum and shriveling of the plastic---a total loss.

Since then, I''ve done fairly well using the popcorn popper approach, although I expect this unit to burn out fairly quickly and also, I cannot achieve a very dark roast. Bottom line: it''s all worth it, compared to buying disappointing beans.