What's a good single dose grinder?

sc123

Jul 22, 2023
Canada
Visit site
I have a $30 or so grocery store brand burr grinder but it's not designed for single dose so the last few beans require a minute of constant shaking to get them to go through and I'm sick of having to do this.

I want one mostly for filter grind as I have a super automatic espresso machine with it's own grinder but espresso capability would be nice for the times I want an espresso with a differrent coffee than is loaded in my automatic machine (it has a bypass chute for pre-ground coffee).

I'm willing to pay $200-600 USD but ideally closer to $200 unless necessary.

If it wasn't for the price so far my top choice would be the Niche Zero or Duo but if something cheaper would do about as good a job I want to know.

I'm also considering the Fellow Ode and Opus but they seem a bit messy and I don't particularly like the container they grind into.

Thanks

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Keep in mind grinders don't typically do well for both espresso and drip. The big brand to look at is the Baratza's... Niche's are nice but $$. Take a look at Turin through espressooutlet.com

sc123

Jul 22, 2023
Canada
Visit site
I ended up getting the Breville Smart Grinder Pro. I had never seen or heard of it and just happened to see one at the mall earlier today and it seemed good but I waited to get home to do some research on it and it seems like a good choice for me.

It's the first one that I liked almost everything about it, the price is good, its hopper has steep slopes so beans don't get stuck behind when single dosing, it does filter to espresso grinds. I just don't particularly like the grind container it comes with but the way it's designed you can use whatever container fits or grind directly into your filter.

I may end up getting a better one in several years but this is at least a huge upgrade from my $30 grocery store brand grinder and will solve my issue of having to shake my grinder for a minute when single dosing while probably making a much more consistent grind.

Last edited:

sc123

Jul 22, 2023
Canada
Visit site
I just got it, the amount of beans (12-18g) that took 1-2 minutes to grind including 1 minute of constantly shaking the entire grinder in my cheap grinder grinds effortlessly with no shaking in about 6 seconds in the new one.

I'm very happy so far, that's 1-2 minutes I'll save per cup of coffee plus I think it tastes better from a better grinder.

sc123

Jul 22, 2023
Canada
Visit site
Considering your budget and preferences, the Baratza Virtuoso+ might be a great option for you. It offers a consistent grind for filter coffee and has the capability for espresso grind as well. The Virtuoso+ is known for its durability and performance, and it falls within your preferred price range.

Another option to consider is the Breville Smart Grinder Pro. It offers precise grind settings, including fine adjustments for espresso grind, and is relatively easy to use and clean.

Both the Baratza Virtuoso+ and Breville Smart Grinder Pro are well-regarded in the coffee community and should provide you with the grind consistency you desire for your filter coffee needs, as well as the ability to switch to espresso grind when needed.
I did end up getting the Breville Smart Grinder Pro today, I'm very happy with it and it's a huge upgrade from my cheap grocery store brand one, the amount of coffee that took 1-2 minutes to grind in my old grinder is done in 5-6 seconds on the Breville.