Which Coffee Machine Should I Purchase?

eileen0998

Jan 19, 2024
Hong Kong
Visit site
I just starting to dive into the world of pour-over brewing. Any recommendation?

I'm looking for something that strikes a balance between simplicity and delivering great taste. Any suggestions for pour-over coffee makers, grinders, and any essential accessories would be fantastic!

Maakbow

Oct 17, 2021
New Zealand
Visit site
Any recommendation? I'm looking for something that strikes a balance between simplicity and delivering great taste.
I'm not a pour over 'expert' as I'm more a spro bro, but i can say without hesitation , If you are starting out, you will get your best results spending your money on a quality grinder and make your pour overs manually. Good mechanical pour over machines that are on par with a well made manual pour over are relatively pricey.

I don't know what your budget even is but the best hand grinder you can find (read/watch as many reviews as you can) may be good enough. Like 1zpresso JP6, ZP6 or maybe even K-Ultra.

As soon as you jump to an electric grinder your budget will need to be multiplied. Maybe a Lagom mini or fellow opus might be a good starting point but there are so many options. These are filter focused grinders so should you later want to make espresso they may not be you best choice

Coldbrew_withoutice

Feb 5, 2024
Austin
Visit site
Welcome to the coffee world! I would say if you just started (like me) a machine that does it all for you might be easier (at least it is for me)
I also want a brand that will take care of the beans for me. I want to learn more about coffee beans but really don't know where to start.

Any good brands rec??? I am also opened to ideas.

Coldbrew_withoutice

Feb 5, 2024
Austin
Visit site
I'm not a pour over 'expert' as I'm more a spro bro, but i can say without hesitation , If you are starting out, you will get your best results spending your money on a quality grinder and make your pour overs manually. Good mechanical pour over machines that are on par with a well made manual pour over are relatively pricey.

I don't know what your budget even is but the best hand grinder you can find (read/watch as many reviews as you can) may be good enough. Like 1zpresso JP6, ZP6 or maybe even K-Ultra.

As soon as you jump to an electric grinder your budget will need to be multiplied. Maybe a Lagom mini or fellow opus might be a good starting point but there are so many options. These are filter focused grinders so should you later want to make espresso they may not be you best choice
I was looking at Fellow the other day......their design is cool! But I am not sure if I know how to use it...

Would love a machine that it probably does all the work for me (but not a K-cup lol

Apeace

Nov 4, 2023
USA
Visit site
I am new to coffee too, so I am searching for various options now. Personally, I am reading reviews and comparing different models, it helps to make a decision. I fond some interesting options at famous tate. Consider factors like the type of coffee you enjoy (espresso, drip, etc.), the size of the machine, and any additional features you might want, such as a built-in grinder or milk frother.

Last edited:

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site

Still don't see the hype on the Lagon Mini... pay that much and limited to 2-3 grind sessions daily per their recommendation. Personally wouldn't limit myself to just three ristretto extractions daily if the turd was free.

I personally recommend the Chemex, it is simple and elegant looking in its simplicity.

More important in your brewing is your water and temps.

I recommend water that has not quite reached the boiling point, pull just before the full boil roll starts.

method of pouring the water over the grind is also important, not too fast, do it slowly and in circular motions to seep all the grind. pause a little after the first few seconds and give a little bit of blooming time for flavors to pop.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
I'm looking for something that strikes a balance between simplicity and delivering great taste.
I think the real first step is to learn. Everyone can recommend equipment, and most people recommend what they use, what they like, etc. Lots of good videos out there. Lots of great books recently published. The more you understand, the more you can judge what you want, and how to strike that balance for you.