Which Espresso Pod to use?

mpkelley20

Sep 24, 2004
Visit site
OK before I get bashed for even asking, let me explain that I am not a routine espresso drinker. And when I do use my espresso machine, I typically make cappucinos. And finally, I am using a very inexpensive Hamilton Beach espresso/cappucino machine that has actually made great cappucinos for me. I am not looking to replace it with anything else.

With that said, can anyone recommend a good espresso pod for the Hamilton Beach 40729 espresso/cappucino maker? I currently use store bought espresso but I don't make enough cappucinos to keep it fresh (and it most likely isn't fresh to begin with since it came from the supermarket!). I would like to try pods but don't know what are considered good and which ones fit my machine. I've done some research on my own but it appears that some pods don't always work well with some machine. I figured I'd ask here first.

Thanks,
Matt

mpkelley20

Sep 24, 2004
Visit site
I haven't received any responses yet on this so I can guess that I offended people by mentioning the word "pod". I'm embarrased now...
:oops:

Since no one is able to help me, may I ask people here with online stores that sell pods to offer me a link so I can at least help out smaller businesses? (I assume that even the serious coffee person with an online store must carry pods due to their high revenue potential......although.... I have been wrong in the past!)

Worst case scenario is I try Amazon and buy from cooking dot com or one of their other major retailers. I would like to avoid that if possible as I prefer to support smaller business.

Thanks,
Matt

aliciaf

Jan 24, 2005
California
Visit site
Hi Matt,

Well, I felt bad that nobody responded to you! Somebody could have offered some info! :-D

I am not a roaster or coffee seller, just an enjoyer of good coffee and espresso. I only use beans that I grind at home, and I know that the pods will not give as fresh a taste as freshly ground beans. However, I have read a few reviews of pods, and it seems that Lavazza come out rated pretty highly as far as pods go, and my nephew says that he likes the Illy pods.

Like I say, I have not tried them, but they may work for you, especially if you are making drinks with milk and possibly flavored syrups.

Good luck! :wink:

KS

Apr 13, 2005
Illinois
Visit site
Espresso Pods

Matt,

I have only tried around 3 brands of espresso pods, but I think Attibassi makes a good espresso pod and decaf espresso pod. They can be found on EspressoVero.com

Hope you find one you like!

mpkelley20

Sep 24, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I did actually receive one PM with a suggestion and gave it a try. I bought the Illy pods and so far I love them. I was so inconsistent with ground espresso that is was getting frustrating. Since I drink regular coffee most of the time, I feared that I would never learn how to make descent espresso when I was in the mood. So far, the pods have been easy to use and produce a great tasting cup everytime.

I have seen the other bradnds you all mentioned but have not tried them yet. Now that I have received some positive reviews, I guess I can have fun trying them out.

Thanks!
Matt