Why Indian coffee tastes so bad?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
ha ha ha, Doug (Mr.Peaberry) and me are not at all taking your comments with hostility. None what so ever. Actually we are kind of glad that you are trying to add "little fuel" into this coffee forums. We are very glad! Really!.

and regards to "I wasn't trying to discredit you or your experience", I was not even offended by your comments. Honestly, .. I am very happy that you are doing something here to get Mr.Peaberry and my attention. THAT is a good thing.

and, finally about "Farmer's blend coffee 100% whole Robusta"?! I am willing to try out. But it got to be something wrong with "description" of the farmer's blend. I do not think it is 100% whole Robusta coffee.... because... it is just not possible to sell nowadays.... maybe someone is buying and enjoying it (such as you), but I know what Robusta coffee is and what is does to coffee. (yes, because knowing coffee is what I do. and only thing what I do for living).
After this posting, I am going to really check out the farmer's blend coffee. and even order one and try it out.
And I will post here how the "tasting" went. ha ha ha.

welcome to forum, My man! :+)

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
and, finally about "Farmer's blend coffee 100% whole Robusta"?! I am willing to try out. But it got to be something wrong with "description" of the farmer's blend. I do not think it is 100% whole Robusta coffee.... because... it is just not possible to sell nowadays.... maybe someone is buying and enjoying it (such as you), but I know what Robusta coffee is and what is does to coffee. (yes, because knowing coffee is what I do. and only thing what I do for living).
After this posting, I am going to really check out the farmer's blend coffee. and even order one and try it out.
And I will post here how the "tasting" went. ha ha ha.

welcome to forum, My man! :+)

I already checked it out (wow!!! internet is just amazing....isn't it?!)
all I can say is that "wholly crap". IT EXISTS!!!!!

Farmers Blend Coffee Home - Farmers Blend Coffee

https://www.amazon.com/Farmers-Blen...=8-1&keywords=farmers+blend+vietnamese+coffee

it is VIETNAM 100% ROBUSTA coffee! (BTW, Skesler, among all the Robusta coffees around the world, Vietnam robusta is known for their...mmmm... worst quality)
anyway, since I promised as above, I am going to order one bag from Amazon and check it out for myself. But I am not going to order 17 oz bag. I am going to order 8 oz, smallest one they have. ha ha ha)

I will probably post my cupping info and some photos by next Monday or so.
it will be really interesting!!!!

SKesler

Aug 16, 2016
Illinois
Visit site
It's readily available, has a colorful package, big circle in the middle of it, from Vietnam. If you do get the opportunity to try it I would love to hear your opinion. I think it's pretty good (in my top 15) and the packaging claims it's 100% Robusta.

...Also I didn't see this before, but it does say that the coffee is marinated in Rum and New Zealand Butter - sooo maybe they're cheating a bit! (I'm not complaining, haha!)

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
It's readily available, has a colorful package, big circle in the middle of it, from Vietnam. If you do get the opportunity to try it I would love to hear your opinion. I think it's pretty good (in my top 15) and the packaging claims it's 100% Robusta.

...Also I didn't see this before, but it does say that the coffee is marinated in Rum and New Zealand Butter - sooo maybe they're cheating a bit! (I'm not complaining, haha!)

MARINATED IN RUM AND BUTTER?????!!!!
I just read some description from Amazon. Yes, it mentions that "hint of butter and rum".
Yes, they are "cheating' big time. But I already ordered it. too late. Anyway, still interested in trying out.
Below are the photos of the coffee. At least, the couple with the kids seem very very happy... hopefully due to drinking Farmers blend 100% whole Robusta. ha ha ha.

81H0ROdxQGL._SX522AA522_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_AA522_SH20_.jpg81t1NPKSzHL._SX522_.jpg81uX3mnOkEL._SX522_.jpg817i8cQhytL._SX522_.jpg

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Today, I got the Amazon delivery on this .... Farmers blend coffee, 100% Robusta that has been "marinated in Butter and Rum".
By the way, even before I open the package, I was setting my expectations and standards as low as humanly possible.....
As soon as I cut open the coffee bag, the smell..... it is horrendous. it was not "coffee smell".. smells like charred cardboard with slight fermented butter (no rum smell)...I just do not know how to describe it.

so I took out about 20 grams and spread on a white paper to check the roast and bean sizes & defects.
This is much worse than rejected beans we sell IN Guatemala, for low class street cafes.
As you can see in the first photo, Roasting is absolutely uneven. I strongly believe that they have roasted different beans in different times and mixed together.
Some are worse than Charcoal and some are just too raw.... Look at the sizes. size 4 to size 15. hollow beans, burnt beans, raw beans, .. you name it.

I am actually kind of "scared" to drink this by V60, Chemex,...etc
So, I am going to wait a day to get some reply from other forum members and if most of them want me to cup and try them out, I will do so.
If not, I am going to return back to Amazon to get my money back.

so, please let me know your comments.
thanks

13939415_1798355463781575_1000015226433417341_n.jpg14045685_1798355487114906_7180918072654157532_n.jpg14067614_1798355473781574_1121015595803128699_n.jpg

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Alex,

I've often admired how you're so willing to cup and taste-test coffee that people send you. You are braver than most people would be.

But, I would not encourage you to take the taste testing plunge this time around, and I doubt that other members of this Coffee Forum would want you to either.

I can see how you could be curious about coffee that is marinated in butter and rum, but that stuff looks horrible.

However, if curiosity gets the best of you, and you decide to go for it, please let us know the result.

Good luck with your decision.

Rose

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Alex,

I've often admired how you're so willing to cup and taste-test coffee that people send you. You are braver than most people would be.

But, I would not encourage you to take the taste testing plunge this time around, and I doubt that other members of this Coffee Forum would want you to either.

I can see how you could be curious about coffee that is marinated in butter and rum, but that stuff looks horrible.

However, if curiosity gets the best of you, and you decide to go for it, please let us know the result.

Good luck with your decision.

Rose

thanks a lot for great input. Actually, I grind it a bit, smelled it again.... that was even way worse than roasted bean smell. so I called it "quit".
so, I re-packed into Amazon box and returned it (just came back from UPS store :+) for my money back refund of $13.95.

As you know, I am always willing to try out any type of coffee (including Robusta and even instant) and in most of cases, I buy them from vendors (because I feel kind of funny about asking for free samples) and try them out.
Many reasons why I do that.

first, it is great for my own education.
second, I try to post whatever cupping, testing...etc I do in this forum. Hoping that will spice up the discussion bit more.
third, If I do not do it, who would do it? :+)

anyway, thanks for good comment and have a good day, Rose.

SKesler

Aug 16, 2016
Illinois
Visit site
Wow, Now I'm not gonna lie that looked terrible. Admittedly, last time I bought that coffee was about a year ago, I wouldn't have thought it got like that. I wouldn't have tried that coffee in that state either. *Shivers*

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I got this email from the founder of "farmers Blend Coffee" Dietmar Vogelmann (the name surely sounds like "German Name"). I got this because I gave only ONE STAR review in Amazon yesterday. It is kind of long email from Dietmar and If anyone would like to give me some feedback on what he (Dietmar) is saying, I would appreciate it.
thanks

[h=3]FarmersBlend.coffee - Amazon Marketplace[/h]
7:19 PM (10 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

6Czi_72lSLxyz-VKB5NoHkNbbuv6077Y3aSKu6SwzyxYOt2dLiOj0yQdd4bcdL6S_5X3tgUsDCGmlujf1GmG0i-kXsBBxVEBI19DC1xFZkvMjXetWzgWNxSDlNFRRqE_Itrq708v-8_bmxAeZzkE1sE=s0-d-e1-ft
MIw4Di2Dn9NZ0RDOdkWqzCX-f-qQG_ATI6629xxZbEBsdpDCn8d4twKiiIyfoaWm74W1_B1BhPS05w=s0-d-e1-ft
Hi Alex, thanks for your email. I just read your review on the amazon site and I like to explain a little about our goals here at Farmers Blend Coffee. First, I like to mention that we are NOT in the specialty coffee culture, we mainly focus on Robusta as this is what's available in Vietnam and our mission is to introduce Vietnamese Coffee Culture, where you take the time to prepare your coffee using the traditional Stainless Stell Filter Phin as well as the sweetened condense milk. This would be the traditional way.

I understand that specialty coffee is completely different from what we do and therefore we cannot compare those 2 things in my opinion. Vietnam is exciting and different and that is what we like to pass on. If you like, I would love to invite you to try the coffee with the condensed milk, even it might go against all rules, but the sweetness of milk balances out the bitterness of the coffee and creates a wonderful dessert coffee. If you living in a warmer region, you can also make it as an iced coffee which is common here in Ho Chi Minh City.

About you roasting comment. We use a 15kg / batch roaster and our beans come directly from the Farmers. We hand pick the defects, but in this quantity it might happen that some defects go into the roaster by accident. Regardless, compare to most other Vietnamese coffee brands, we are not using any chemicals nor artificial flavors which we are very proud of.

As you gave us a 1-star review, I would love to refund your purchase and thank you for giving us the chance and your feedback, even it might not have been what we were looking for :) ... but nevertheless we understand. Specialty Coffee Culture is growing and exciting - we just go a different direction with our product. Culture is a huge part of coffee, and we are fascinated about the Vietnamese one.

Now, I would like to ask you if it would be possible for you to delete your review as this can seriously damage our business model in bring Vietnamese Coffee Culture to the people. ECommerce is not an easy business and we rely a lot on customers reviews. From Coffee professional to Coffee professional, I know you understand what I mean :).

Last but not least, you mention you work as coffee trader from Guatemala. I would love to try this one out here in Vietnam. Would you be able to sent samples or smaller quantities to Vietnam (20 to 50kg)? If yes, what would be the best way to go ahead on this venture?

With kindest regards

Dietmar Vogelmann

Sincerely

Dietmar Vogelmann
Founder - Farmer Blend Coffee

www.farmerblend.coffee

4scoffee

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
I understand his point of view in vietnamese coffee. So to give a full explanation I'm gonna have to write it out for you.
First, in Vietnam, coffee is a HUGE "thing". You might not believe it but you have to go to Vietnam and see it for yourself. Coffee shop is the largest commercial and most common shop around, the number of coffee shops is larger than any others (restaurant, movie theater, grocery store,... even convenient store can't compete to coffee shop). It is one of the Vietnam culture; people go to coffee shop before they work, they go coffee shop "during" their work. After they are done with their work, they come home, change, take shower and... come back to coffee shop. It is where young people meet, middle age people talk, and old people gather. And Vietnamese coffee most famous "drink" is iced milk coffee (ice because it is super hot, milk means condensed milk).
Second, he mention a lot about condensed milk but believe or not, it is vietnam best style of drinking coffee. If you go to coffee shop and order coffee without condensed milk, you are not drinking vietnamese coffee. So condensed milk take a huge part of vietnamese coffee. You can google "vietnam coffee culture" and see there are many article talking about vietnam coffee with condensed milk.
Finally, Vietnam does have robusta and also arabica. People prefer Robusta because it balance out the sweeten from condensed milk and they need higher level of caffeine. I understand how other country doesn't like Arabica but the top brand in US using Robusta I think is Death Wish Coffee.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
thanks for comment.
yes, I fully understand that "Vietnam coffee method & style" is an Huge thing in Vietnam. But that is IN VIETNAM, not for most of other countries around the world.

having said that, I personally believe that everyone has the right to enjoy any type of coffee for any type of preparation.
Even my mother prefer Folgers and instant coffee over specialty coffee that I brings from Guatemala. She said that she can not tell the difference :+)

However, personally speaking, I am not a fan of Robusta and specially from Vietnam Robusta due to your (I do not mean "you", but Vietnam Robusta coffee exporters) coffee defect standards and how they roast.
But I also drink Vietnam coffees time to time at local Vietnam cafe and restaurants. They could be a wonderful drink specially in hot days, even though I still prefer a good cold brew or nitro cold brew which are made out of good Arabica beans because I can taste the coffee, not just sweet milk and other "foofoo things" in the coffee.

also regards to your comment : I understand how other country doesn't like Arabica but the top brand in US using Robusta I think is Death Wish Coffee.

I am curious.. which other countries do not like Arabica and prefer Robusta? Besides Vietnam which is your own country, I can not think of none. please let me know.
for the Death Wish coffee, I actually bought some of their coffee and "cup" it many month ago and even put my posting about Death wish coffee in this coffeeforum. You can search and check out my comments on it. BOTTOM LINE IS THAT.. IT IS NOT GOOD. Death Wish is all about marketing, not for real coffee drinkers who seek intricate and delicate coffee profiles.

In their own website of deathwish, they do not mention that they are using Robusta beans from Vietnam. I also check Amazon deathwish page, also none about Robusta from Vietnam. if you can find any information about this, please post it here.

Again, 4scoffee, I believe that everyone has the right to like or dislike whatever you want. And I am not in the position to say that ALL VIETNAM COFFEE IS BAD. I will never say that. Also, I am glad that there are quite a few Vietnam forum members trying to promote and sell your coffee to others. I am just hoping that by doing so, something will improve in the future. such as coffee defective count. Roasting profile & method. green bean sorting. packaging and delivery...etc Vietnam became 2nd largest coffee exporter in just 20 years. THAT IS REALLY AMAZING. and I truly believe that if Vietnam put their minds and efforts to better their coffee quality, I am sure that can be done faster than any other countries.

No matter what, good luck to you.
Alex from Ensoluna S.A.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

"A picture speaks a thousand words." - Old Adage

If there is any redeeming quality one can mention about these beans, please speak up. Looks like floor sweepings to me. Don't laugh, it is common practice in some roasting plants in this world to return floor sweepings to the "ready to be bagged" coffee. Maybe this is why you got the impression the bag contained coffee from different roasts, Alex.

Peaberry

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Alex,

I'm seriously hoping that you're not going to delete your bad review of the coffee on Amazon.

People should know what you experienced, and then they can make informed decisions based on the information provided in the reviews.

Rose

4scoffee

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi Alex,
Thanks you for your reply.
Well, I don't mean to defend that brand nor Death Wish coffee. I also didn't say that Death Wish is using Vietnamese beans or Robusta coffee is better or anything. I was just trying to explain what is in the email you get from the "Farmer Blend" company about your review. My host parents are Americans and they never thought of drinking coffee with condensed milk or any of my friends know about that either. Therefore, I was just trying to say that it is existed.

And yes, you are right about "Vietnam coffee method & style" is ONLY huge in Vietnam. It might not be any better anywhere else. I was wrong to say there is a country which doesn't like Arabica, since I think there is no such thing. People have different taste and style, therefore, it is impossible to determine that a whole country like or dislike a type of coffee. There is reason why Arabica is rated as better quality coffee beans than Robusta for a very long time. I'm not trying to go against it.
However, what my company is trying to do is introducing our coffee and maybe a new way to enjoy a coffee cup to other part of the worlds. We take all feedback seriously and trying our best to improve.
Thanks you very much !