Ye Olde Starbucks Barista (Saeco SIN 006) Trouble

aroaster83

Dec 30, 2012
Portland, OR
Visit site
I've been wasting too much coffee trying to calibrate this thing and wondered if anyone had a benchmark for success I could start at before playing around further.

Equipment:

• Baratza Virtuoso
  • Naked Portafilter 53mm replacement
  • Refurb SBUX Barista (Saeco SIN006) with new gasket, descaled, replaced parts by moi, etc

Method:
  • Virtuoso screw in the "fine" slot closest to the "medium" slot (no idea what those are called)
  • Grinder set to 4
  • The portafilter can hold 20g if I stuff it full but I using the method I've used on commercial machines, ~15/16g. So I go with 15/16g
  • Flush the portafilter with hot water, grind, tamp.
  • Hit the steam button for 5 seconds to get water temp up a few more degrees
  • Insert, brew

I'm getting a divot in the center of the puck and sour pulls. I've tried just about everything. I bought this machine because it actually can pull crazy nice shots and steam milk relatively well. I've had beautiful espresso off of these. I can't seem to nail it.

aroaster83

Dec 30, 2012
Portland, OR
Visit site
I did a ton of experiments and came to a problem with brew temperature. Whatever caused the drop, I am not sure and am open to recommendations before I tear the thing apart and investigate how the system shuts off/turns on heating. Anyways, the highest temperature I could get was 182 by turning the system on, waiting for the green brew light, and waiting 10 seconds. The lowest temperature I recorded was 174 which was waiting 10 full minutes after the green brew light came on. Median out of 10 separate methods was 179.