Book of Roast

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
So, I ordered it a week ago. Still no movement on a shipping/tracking number or anything. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on my thoughts once I get it though. I'm going to be super disappointed if it ends up lacking useful information for experienced roasters.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I always enjoy reading books and what I have found is they all basically say the same thing. Just worded different. I do not see what could be different at that price that could change the way you run your shop. I guess they will cover everything but it has already been printed. Their own magazine has covered many ideas and tips. I save all mine since day one and sometimes look back and compare 2008 to current. JMO

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
I always enjoy reading books and what I have found is they all basically say the same thing. Just worded different. I do not see what could be different at that price that could change the way you run your shop. I guess they will cover everything but it has already been printed. Their own magazine has covered many ideas and tips. I save all mine since day one and sometimes look back and compare 2008 to current. JMO
so, i guess that it is like... Best collection songs of Eagles... or of Michael Jackson..etc ?! But they sure do make some big money by doing it....

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
so, i guess that it is like... Best collection songs of Eagles... or of Michael Jackson..etc ?! But they sure do make some big money by doing it....

Kinda.. haha. Its expensive... but when you consider its $30 a year for a subscription and you are getting 6-7 years worth of info IMO its not that bad. And Roast Magazine always is top notch writing. Nice article in this months magazine about the financial cost of 'sustainable' coffee production.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Kinda.. haha. Its expensive... but when you consider its $30 a year for a subscription and you are getting 6-7 years worth of info IMO its not that bad. And Roast Magazine always is top notch writing. Nice article in this months magazine about the financial cost of 'sustainable' coffee production.
Yep. that is why I own some CD of "best song collection from Eagles, Michael Jackson & Whitney..etc. A lot cheaper to buy one "best collection" than buying all of their published CDs.

Last edited:

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Not even close to what I was getting at. So to make it simpler I am agreeing with John about having content for the experienced roaster.

quantumbeancoffee

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
I ordered a copy last Saturday and received it this past Saturday (exactly one week later). Seems like a wealth of information to jump into. At the price it would've been nice to have a hard back instead of paper back but still a quality job nonetheless.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
So, I got the book in late last week, but haven't had the time to really crack it open and read through it yet. Seems to be very detailed and thorough on the expected stuff, but we'll see what kind of outstanding content it has, if any. I remain optimistic though.
Attached is a photo -- the thing is massive. With over 400 pages of actual, informative content, or so it seems.
IMG_1033.JPG

Has anyone read the Scott Rao book? Any thoughts if you have? I have, and I have my own thoughts on it, but overall I found it very insightful as to the mechanics of roasting. I am hoping to find some content in here that corroborates and/or expands upon some of his thoughts.
I'll keep everyone posted as to what I find that is noteworthy.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
John, I just ordered Scott Rao's book "The Coffee Roaster's Companion" on Amazon. Should arrive in a week or so. I would love to hear your feedback on the comparison to Roast Magazine's "Book of Roast"...which is on my Birthday wish list; hint, hint...lol!

SPid

Jan 25, 2018
Visit site
So, after reading posts by Mr.Peaberry, and JohnD18, I was excitedly anticipating some perspective on "The Book of Roast." But there isn't any further mention of it in this thread. I'd love also to hear opinions on Scott Rao's book.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I know them well. They started their business selling cheap Chinese made roaster. I would rather have US roaster company program or Ambax will give you better class at no cost if you are going to purchase a roaster.

gdrattin

May 4, 2020
Illinois
Visit site
It’s been a couple years since it’s release, would love to hear anyone’s insight on what they think about the book!

Things they’ve learned from it, whether or not you feel the price of the book is worth it or not?... etc...

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Ya......though, Scott Rao's book has good practical information, things such as protocols and rules of thumb. It does get a little into the types of roasters and such. It is worth the price though I have read it a couple of times and now is collecting dust on the shelf. I had been meaning to get Rob Hoos book but have had difficulty getting off my @ss.

I thought about buying a Mill City years ago but it would not pass our(government) Electrical Standards Association inspection. They have come a long long way and now have an ESA pass designation. I have roasted on one at a Roasters' Guild event and looking to buy one as a sample roaster.

Book of Roasts ? Can't afford it. anyone going to give a review ?

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Ya......though, Scott Rao's book has good practical information, things such as protocols and rules of thumb. It does get a little into the types of roasters and such. It is worth the price though I have read it a couple of times and now is collecting dust on the shelf. I had been meaning to get Rob Hoos book but have had difficulty getting off my @ss.

I thought about buying a Mill City years ago but it would not pass our(government) Electrical Standards Association inspection. They have come a long long way and now have an ESA pass designation. I have roasted on one at a Roasters' Guild event and looking to buy one as a sample roaster.

Book of Roasts ? Can't afford it. anyone going to give a review ?

I've never done a review, and my copy of Book of Roast has been on the shelf for almost a year and a half. I'll try to find a little time to review it and share my thoughts, but it would be nice for someone who is roasting professionally to give it a more "hands on" perspective.

Cheers