Nitro cold brew

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't necessarily prefer dark roasted coffee for cold brewing. I get such nice chocolate notes and no acidity from a medium/medium dark roasted south/central american blend.

How long of a shelf life does the end product have? Do you keep the keg in a fridge?

Thanks in advance.

lw

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Nitrogen removes O2 so shelf life is longer but the coffee is out the door pretty quick. It also adds a texture so it pours like a stout. I use a med/dark blend and depending on the bean and your roast will depend on the concentration. I also use cubelette ice cubes which are chewable. You have to experiment with your grounds with your grinder and dosage. You Tube has a lot of videos. When I set up the 3 taps it will be housed in a cooler unit, whether I purchase one or make my own. As far as advertisement, once your customer has one they will never go back to conventional iced coffee.

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
Nitrogen removes O2 so shelf life is longer but the coffee is out the door pretty quick. It also adds a texture so it pours like a stout. I use a med/dark blend and depending on the bean and your roast will depend on the concentration. I also use cubelette ice cubes which are chewable. You have to experiment with your grounds with your grinder and dosage. You Tube has a lot of videos. When I set up the 3 taps it will be housed in a cooler unit, whether I purchase one or make my own. As far as advertisement, once your customer has one they will never go back to conventional iced coffee.
How long would it stay at home though? Obviously tap'd beer can stay months and months if setup properly, how long would coffee stay fresh/or at least taste good done similar?

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Beer is usually tapped with CO2 although some micro brewers are using N2 in their taps. There is CO2 coffee hitting the markets also using yeast and sugar to create the CO2. Not sure how long the coffee would last in a fridge before changing flavor. Kegs come in different sizes so if you purchased a portable nitro kit you could use a smaller keg/container. Not interested in home use because I am never there!! always working!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
i Don't think this is good for home barita. This has to be commercial setting.
I only mentioned dark roast because the texture and color.
When I had mine over and Crimson cup, they were very silky and dark.

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
i Don't think this is good for home barita. This has to be commercial setting.
I only mentioned dark roast because the texture and color.
When I had mine over and Crimson cup, they were very silky and dark.
My buddy has a mini co2 cartridge keg thing, it goes on top of growlers turning them into portable taps. Hmmm, wonder if that would work, though the coffee would have to sit in it in a fridge to be cool first. Think this is the one he bought off kickstarter This Cap Turns Your Growler Into a Mini-Keg . Except it's Co2, not N2. Lot's of breweries play with N2 now, last year at Oskar Blues they had a bunch of their normal beers and then N2 versions, was really cool seeing the difference between CO2 and N2 on the same beer, night and day.

The homebrewtalk forum has a bunch of info on people doing this with coffee or talking about it

Last edited:

Chipbean

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I setup a a nitro system a few months ago in the rough stages. Used a Perlick Stout tap, ordered my 5 gallon tank and accessories from Northern Brewer. You can use a kegerator if you have one but I plan on having a triple tap setup. You have to use food grade Nitrogen which is available at most gas suppliers that fill CO2 tanks. I set my pressure at 40lbs. Spend a couple of buck more and purchase a dual stage regulator.

Charlie,

Thanks for sharing on the nitro system. I am completely ignorant on the subject.......what does a dual stage regulator do for you that makes you favor that type of setup versus whatever the other choice is? Thanks again.

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
Interesting thread; just bought the Co2 cap and ball lock fitting to charge 1L soda bottles. We have CO2 and N2 (ultra pure) at my work place. I'm going to try infusing coffee with CO2 in a 1L bottle. (the Carbonator & 5/16" ball lock assembly from Amazon)

Last edited: