Advice on choosing excellent grinder for 3-4 espressos /day

stephenc

Jan 19, 2006
N.Ireland
Visit site
A while back I bought a Russell Hobbs espresso maker, realised it was a toy, bought a Krups XP4020, realised the same and now have a Gaggia Classic which I'm very please with but took me a while to get there. I've also gone through 3 grinders; a manual Tescos one, a Russell Hobbs bland grinder and a Krups xp burr grinder.

I want to buy one really good decent grinder and want to make it my last purchase, hence I'd really appreciate the advice please. I only make 3-4 espressos / day so dont want a 1kg hopper type. Price is of course important but I'd rather find out the correct one and save up for it than have another 'make do' only to dump it a year later, so I dont care how much it costs (within reason), I just want to find out the right one to aim for (and then save up)- :cry: .

All advice appreciated thanks

Stephen

For that volume, you could do well with a Solis Maestro or Maestro Plus. I have one at home and we're in the 4-8 range per day. Grind is consistent, it has enough power. The motor will never burn out. It is a little messy, but then I'm not sure you're ever going to solve that with espresso.

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
Hi Stephen,

If you're looking for a last purchase grinder, the Mazzer Mini would be an excellent choice. There's nothing but good things being said about them. Yes they're not cheap but you get what you pay for. The Mazzer is commercial quality and stepless. It will perform exceptionally in any espresso set up. The burrs are big, infinitely adjustable, the motor is strong and it puts out what is considered the best grind in it's price range. The Mazzer is one exceptional grinder.

If you ever upgrade to a prosumer, commercial grade espresso machine the Mazzer will have paid for itself. Lots of people must think so too because Mazzer prices seem to be taking a jump as of late.

stephenc

Jan 19, 2006
N.Ireland
Visit site
:) Thanks guys; I never realised this would be so difficult, but my own research since posting seems to come down in favour of the Mazzer also. Gonna have to start saving though!

Thanks again

Stephen