anyone ever order beans on ebay?

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I have seen a handful of sellers on ebay. the prices are pretty good and the shipping is free for a lot of them. Anyone know much about how they source their beans and the overall quality? For example, you can get guatemala antigua beans for $4.50 per pound with free 2 day shipping. Do you get what you pay for from this standpoint?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
There are other online sources for green coffee, as well as one or two here - buzzroasters? - that are at the price you mention, or lower, and the coffees are vetted/cupped by reliable palates.

I'm sure not all the ebay beans are dogs, but I wouldn't trust them. If the seller is including free shipping and is making some sort of profit, that means he paid a very low price for the beans. They are most likely past crop and baggy.

greencoffeebuyingclub.com is a great source, but you'd have to register to snoop around.

I don't mind paying a bit higher per lb. at sweetmarias.com either. You know exactly what you're getting; they are an excellent resource for all things home-roaster; they are good people. Depending on how much coffee you go through in a week or a month, saving a couple bucks on a lb. translates into pennies per cup. If you're going to the bother of roasting coffee, getting cheap on the cost of the greens isn't smart in my book.

paypalboutique

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I bought robusta Vietnamese Blue Cloud Green coffee from eBay and when I roasted it, it had a chocolaty earthy flavor and a ton of caffeine. Then I bought some Mexican Agatha Chiapas, Soconusco green bean. After roasting it, it tasted grassy even down to a dark roast and no caffeine rush. It said it was from Jan 2012 harvest and organic. I think eBay is a hit or miss buy a couple pounds, it you have luck stick with the seller until you are displeased, then go to sweetmaries or amazon has a seller with Rhodes in the name.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Personally (and I am biased) I think you would improve your chances of getting great beans by using someone that frequents this forum, and you'd be helping someone here who is helping make this a better place. It's like this; if you had a brother who was a great real estate agent and you wanted to sell your house- would you look through the yellow pages to find a realtor you know nothing about?