APPRENTICE WANTED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
Temuri said:
[quote:34byqfp9]Great come back. Go figure this, none of the top 10 roasters, micros or macros as named by Food and Wine Magazine use your laser and computer.
It is funny: Good coffee, laser and computer. Can computers feel? Taste? Guess? smell and injoy? Be proud and happy because customers appriciate our job and love "our" coffee? No computer can take it from me.
[/quote:34byqfp9]

It's funny. That's exactly what the "craftsman" in the wine industry said in the 70's in California just before every last one of them were put out of business by the wineries that turned to technology and science and started producing far superior and consistent product.

ElPugDiablo

Fresh Roaster said:
Temuri said:
[quote:1dcstrkr]Great come back. Go figure this, none of the top 10 roasters, micros or macros as named by Food and Wine Magazine use your laser and computer.
It is funny: Good coffee, laser and computer. Can computers feel? Taste? Guess? smell and injoy? Be proud and happy because customers appriciate our job and love "our" coffee? No computer can take it from me.

It's funny. That's exactly what the "craftsman" in the wine industry said in the 70's in California just before every last one of them were put out of business by the wineries that turned to technology and science and started producing far superior and consistent product.
[/quote:1dcstrkr]

Funny you should mention wine. Do let us know which well known craftsman wineries in the 70's bellied up because they fell behind the technology curve. And which of those wineries that turned to technology and science know nothing about grapes?

demetri

Jul 18, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
Visit site
As I recall it's not technology that gives a particular wine a consistent flavour. The wineries keep juice for a few years and mix that in during subsequent years to give the wine a familiar taste.

That is with the exception of vintage years. Different wine organizations have different rules about what percentage of the wine has to come from that vintage years crop but they're usually close to 100%.

Besides when it comes to taste in wine the most important factors are where the grapes were grown, how old the vines are, the varietals, and did they take the time to pick the stems and leaves out of the harvest.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
looks like we got a bit away from the original post....so here it is again..and yes we are still searching!

I have been to almost every coffee shop in the area searching for an apprentice. I have posted it on this forum and several other job sites. I have gotten no response at all. I will post this one last time...I NEED AN APPRENTICE IN SOUTH FLORIDA. If anyone knows of someone who wants to learn everything I know about roasting and get paid to do so have them contact me.
Thank you,
Christopher Conover

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
It's funny. That's exactly what the "craftsman" in the wine industry said in the 70's in California just before every last one of them were put out of business by the wineries that turned to technology and science and started producing far superior and consistent product
Fresh Roaster! Could you teach coffee drinkers any kind of scientific approach on how to enjoy even the worst coffee they drink. By the way do you still have any gaseous powder? :D :) :evil: :twisted: :wink:

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
Temuri said:
Fresh Roaster! Could you teach coffee drinkers any kind of scientific approach on how to enjoy even the worst coffee they drink. By the way do you still have any gaseous powder? :D :) :evil: :twisted: :wink:

If a scientific approach were always used there wouldn't be any bad coffee. :D

ElPugDiablo

Fresh Roaster said:
Temuri said:

McDonald's has a very scientific approach in making their stuffs, you think they are good? According to you all wines are now scientifically made, does this mean there is no bad wine?

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
Fresh Roaster said:
Temuri said:

McDonald's has a very scientific approach in making their stuffs, you think they are good? According to you all wines are now scientifically made, does this mean there is no bad wine?

Please explain McDonald's scientific approach. Sounds to me like you're just making stuff up now.

Pug, I'll make a challenge with you. 50 1 pound roasts. Each one cupped by Willem Boot and analyzed by Agtron. Let's see how you do. :D The bet is the deeds to our homes. You game?

Baugo

Nov 24, 2006
Visit site
BEAN SHOOTERS AT 10 PACES (Coffee beans of course, DECAF ONLY, you cant see your opponent with white powder in the air :D ), I would love to work for ya Topher I'll try and see if my company will transfer me to our service center in Florida, ya wife and kids too!! :-D Maybe we can go McFishing or something after work :p

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
There is a wonderful book called "Judgment of Paris" about the California wine industry. THe parallels to the coffee industry are compelling. I highly recommend it but in a nutshell it outlines how the snooty French winemakers, entrenched in their "artisan" process thumbed their noses at the american wines until two were somewhat snuck into their most improtatnt wine tasting event... and both american wines won!

It details the massive scientific effort and approach taken by the pioneers of the California wine pioneers such as Mondavi, Stag's Leap and Clos du Val and how they went to UC Davis to learn about the science of wine and the technology of production and then implemented that technology to create what is now one of the great wine producing regions in the world.

ElPugDiablo

Fresh roast, Agtron is made by a company owned by Carl Staub, he made is fortune using scientific approach makng McDonald's French Fries. McDonald's fries are very consistent, but are they any good? He is a great advocate of using scientific method for consistency. There are a lot of roasters using various instruments from moisture analysis to roasting color. No one is poop pooping the value of science. But only you have come out and claim art and knowledge can be replaced.

I have already admitted that consistency is a good thing, and I can use help in that area. In fact my first PM to you was asking you if your machine is available in my area so I can give it a try. In your reply you have stated that green beans sourcing is something that your machine cannot replace. So why is it so hard for you to admit that being a master roaster is more than voodoo mumbo jumbo, there are human knowledge that input and output simply cannot replace.

I tell you what, I'll take you bet on your claim that consistency is the only thing that matters, if you can get Willem Boot to write in Roast Magazine that consistency is everything, and by using your machine or any profile roasting system, horribly defected beans can be roasted and cup like the best out there you win. If you cannot, I really don't want your house, I just want you to accentuate the positive of your system without attacking someone else. Maybe you don't know it, bad mouthing competitors is really bad salesmanship.

Interesting you should mention more about wine. It is even more interesting the chardonnay winner of the 76 tasting, Mike Grgich stated that "great wines always begin with exceptional fruit". It sounded like what he is saying is that regardless of processing technology, raw material comes first. Since you know nothing about green beans, and don't believe that is a requirement for roasting great coffee, I would suggest that you are only selecting those talking points that suited your purpose, and conveniently hided other important factors. Maybe you don't know it, but that is intellectually dishonest.

http://www.grgich.com/html/vineyards.html

Status
Not open for further replies.