Bbq > sf6

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've been playing with drop temps, heat, air, etc. I'm getting it down, and I've started shipping coffee from it to customers, including wholesale. Feedback has been great, I'm happy so far, though it's nowhere near where I know I'll be soon enough. I cup every single batch I roast.

To sped the process I bought a laptop tonight on Newegg to plug in and log my roasts. I won't be paying too much attention, however, if in my cupping I find an exceptional batch, at least I'll have a clear record and can duplicate it.

So much fun!

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've been absent, but only because I've been busy. Today I moved into my first commercial roasting space (no cafe), hooked up the new exhaust, and roasted a few batches!

Not bad for a guy who started roasting in his backyard on a BBQ!

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys!

I've officially been a business for years now, it's just that no one knew it was out of my garage. I had my coffee in the gift bags at the Academy awards, and other places it's surprising I got to, haha. So the only difference now is I have an official space. I wanted the smallest space I could find, and small spaces are hard to find. I finally found a warehouse-type place with a separate room in the back, 220 Sq ft. Landlord is super nice, there was already one of those whirly vents in the roof, so running the exhaust straight up was very easy. I had been using cheap home Depot double wall class c venting in my house, which worked just fine, but I bought the stainless triple wall class a stuff for the new place.

It's nice to have a climate controlled, quiet place to roast! I'm a bit apprehensive, because of course this increased my monthly expenses by a lot, but I had to do it due to selling my house. So now my job is to go get some more wholesale business...

Amhas

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys!

I've officially been a business for years now, it's just that no one knew it was out of my garage. I had my coffee in the gift bags at the Academy awards, and other places it's surprising I got to, haha. So the only difference now is I have an official space. I wanted the smallest space I could find, and small spaces are hard to find. I finally found a warehouse-type place with a separate room in the back, 220 Sq ft. Landlord is super nice, there was already one of those whirly vents in the roof, so running the exhaust straight up was very easy. I had been using cheap home Depot double wall class c venting in my house, which worked just fine, but I bought the stainless triple wall class a stuff for the new place.

It's nice to have a climate controlled, quiet place to roast! I'm a bit apprehensive, because of course this increased my monthly expenses by a lot, but I had to do it due to selling my house. So now my job is to go get some more wholesale business...

Good Luck Poison!!! I just ordered a small roaster and took the boot class. I'm starting with a smaller roaster (in the garage too), but hope to be where you're at soon.

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
o77tdt.jpg

mszwib.jpg

24guetu.jpg

attachment.php

Some pics of the setup from last weekend!

JerryB

Nov 10, 2012
Near Salt Lake City
Visit site
Wow! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Best wishes for having lots of fun and some really great coffee!

Rose

Poison,
I came back to this thread excited to get an update. I have been telling my partner (wife :grin:) about your adventure and wanted to show her your new roaster. When I got to the post just above Roses post (quote above) I can not see any photos that had been posted there. The post area is blank to me. I see other pictures on this thread, just not the ones (I think when unit was delivered) referencing above Roses post.:cry: Did they get removed?

I see your pics of your new work area. Looks nice and clean! Is that an indoor/outdoor carpet under your roaster? I realty admire your tastes! I'm looking forward to your updates here.

Happy roasting!
Jerry

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Jerry,

Poison may have posted those photos using links to where they are stored on a website. If they're no longer stored there, the link will be broken and the photo will not appear in the post. He posted them back on October 2013, so they may not be available now.

JerryB

Nov 10, 2012
Near Salt Lake City
Visit site
Thanks PinkRose,
LOL, I get lost in reading an interesting thread that someone brings out of the archives and I forget to look at the dates throughout the thread. I like Poison's story and hope to hear back from him again.

Cheers

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Poison,
I came back to this thread excited to get an update. I have been telling my partner (wife :grin:) about your adventure and wanted to show her your new roaster. When I got to the post just above Roses post (quote above) I can not see any photos that had been posted there. The post area is blank to me. I see other pictures on this thread, just not the ones (I think when unit was delivered) referencing above Roses post.:cry: Did they get removed?

I see your pics of your new work area. Looks nice and clean! Is that an indoor/outdoor carpet under your roaster? I realty admire your tastes! I'm looking forward to your updates here.

Happy roasting!
Jerry

Hey Jerry, I hosted the pics on tinypic.com, so they probably got removed after a while. If you go on my Facebook, the arrival pics are easy to find. I was roasting at my house at the time, so when the big rig pulled up and dropped the big ass crate in the alley behind my house, I was a bit in shock. Was not prepared for that.

The new space is so nice! Yes, that's some weird industrial carpet, super tough and durable stuff. It's glued down, so even though I would rather have removed it, it would have been too much trouble, and left a huge mess. Maybe in the future. The owner of the building said 'feel free to ruin it'. :D

I still have a lot to square away there. I need a new table, printer, stuff like that. Slowly but surely!