Beginner: Beans to Start!

Cnf002

Sep 21, 2020
Visit site
I just purchased a small Kaldi home roaster and was beginning the research for purchasing beans for my first roast. Looking for a recommendation on a good bean to start out with that is good for experimenting with. I am interested in learning my roaster, the roasting process, and experimenting with profiles. Does anyone have a recommendation for a bean to begin with or the approach they took when deciding what type of coffees to roast first?

Thanks!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
There are a few great places to order green... I always highly recommend Sweet Marias. They offer a variety of sample packs - 1 lb'ers of each flavor. As to which bean - I would recommend a Central American - a Guat / Colombian ... all are pretty easy to roast and consistent and good drinkers. You will find the Afriacan's are denser and hard to roast but most beans roast similarly.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Take notes on everything you do while roasting. Then keep notes on the coffee you taste. Don't be afraid to experiment. That's how I learned. There wasn't the internet or books when I started. So I took notes and tasted a boat load of coffees! I hope you enjoy your Kaldi. I have had mine for 6 years with no issues. Well except till last weekend when a car drove through my roastery's front door and smashed it. If you have any questions there are loads of great people here!!