Best green coffee beans

SocialSandwich

New member
Sep 7, 2008
8
0
Visit site
Now there's a chance that this should be going in the coffee roasting board, but since my question is about coffee beans, this seems to be a bit more fitting.

Anywho, I'm going to be ordering about a pound of five different kind of green coffee beans. I'm mostly unfamiliar with different beans, where the best come from, etc. so I figured it would be better to ask the experts instead of just diving in randomly.

Here are the available beans:

Brazil Serra Negra
Sulawesi Torajaland
Colombian Excelso
Colombian Supremo
Costa Rica La Flora
Tanzanian Peaberry
Certified Organic Mexican Chiapas
Mexican Chiapas
Guatemala Antigua
Indian Mysore Plantation A
Papau New Guinea
Nicaragua La Bastilla


From what I've heard about and also tasted myself, though please correct me if I'm wrong, Costa Rica La Flora and Tanzanian Peaberry are very good. However I'm a little clueless on what the last three should be.

Any suggestions would be great. :)
 
why are you buying both supremo and excelso? I would suggest using the supremo and that opens a spot for Sumatra lintong or mandheling, Peruvian or a nice Panamanian..just a thought.
 
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #3
Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. I'm supposed to be choosing five beans out of that list, I'm not buying all of those. :p
 
Hey, will you be roasting these beans yourself? For yourself?

What type of roaster do you have?

I may be wrong, but some of the above listed beans may work better than others, depending on your preference to roast level.

Sorry to pry, but the "green" beans part makes me curious... :D
 
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #6
caffe biscotto said:
Hey, will you be roasting these beans yourself? For yourself?

What type of roaster do you have?

I may be wrong, but some of the above listed beans may work better than others, depending on your preference to roast level.

Sorry to pry, but the "green" beans part makes me curious... :D

I will indeed be roasting them myself, for myself. Maybe for some friends or family who have a piqued interest.

I use a trusty popcorn maker.

Eh, it's no problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but "green" bean is the term I've been hearing people use themselves. :p Also, I prefer a medium to dark roast.

omegapd said:
I'd add the Guatemalan and Colombia Supremo to the list for sure.

Good luck! Let us know what happens and what you choose...

EW

What's so ew? :shock:

Also, thanks for the suggestions. I'll see how it turns out and be sure to post the results on here.
 
SocialSandwich said:
What's so ew? :shock:

Also, thanks for the suggestions. I'll see how it turns out and be sure to post the results on here.

:lol: My initials are E.W.

I've yet to try my luck with my home roasting, so am interested to hear how it turns out. I've been pricing some inexpensive (relative term, I guess) home roasters and may take the plunge one of these days too.

EW
 
I also prefer medium to dark roasts, not too dark though, heh.

Home roasting seems to be catching on these days....

I can't recommend anything on your list. I'm not a roaster, but I do look forward to reading and learning from your posts.

Wishin' you the best with it. :D
 
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #9
omegapd said:
SocialSandwich said:
What's so ew? :shock:

Also, thanks for the suggestions. I'll see how it turns out and be sure to post the results on here.

:lol: My initials are E.W.

I've yet to try my luck with my home roasting, so am interested to hear how it turns out. I've been pricing some inexpensive (relative term, I guess) home roasters and may take the plunge one of these days too.

EW

Oh, okay. My mistake. :p

I hear that using a popcorn popper for coffee beans works just as well as one of those fancy, expensive machines.

caffe biscotto said:
I also prefer medium to dark roasts, not too dark though, heh.

Home roasting seems to be catching on these days....

I can't recommend anything on your list. I'm not a roaster, but I do look forward to reading and learning from your posts.

Wishin' you the best with it. :D

Thanks. :)

I went ahead and purchased a small bag of Columbian Supremo today. I have to say, it's a very potent kind of bean. Certainly not the kind you want to use with a French press, but would probably be great with an espresso machine.
 
Home roasting

If you are new to roasting, I would suggest the Costa Rica and Nicaragua both are realitively hard so it is pretty hard to burn them. Home Roasting is a blast. I'm spoiled. I won't drink any thing else.
 
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #11
Re: Home roasting

jlyon10 said:
If you are new to roasting, I would suggest the Costa Rica and Nicaragua both are realitively hard so it is pretty hard to burn them. Home Roasting is a blast. I'm spoiled. I won't drink any thing else.

I just dug up some Nicaragua beans out of the cupboard that I got a while ago to roast, but I guess I never got around to it. I plan on trying those out later today. How exciting. :grin:

What I plan on using the beans with is a French press, and maybe sometimes an espresso machine. If there are any beans in there with a nice, "sweet" flavor to them (you know what I'm talking about), could anyone please point them out?
 
I bought a cheaper roaster, its the fresh roast plus 8. i like it and it came as a package with a burr mill, and 5lbs of green beans from around the world. i got it on ebay all for about 120. i also got from another seller, 4 single cup french presses. i know i should let the beans de-gas for a day or 2 before i grind, but even right after roasting, the flavor is excellent. for my first roast i did a columbian valencia blended 50/50 with brazil beja flor. i roasted to a darkness just shy of a vienna roast, and im very happy with it. after the beans gas out a bit, im sure ill like it even more. I'll most likely roast about twice a week, and just keep the beans in my grinder hopper. once im sure about my roasting skills, ill open up my kona extra fancy and peaberry from koa plantation.
 
Great job. I have 2 Fresh Roast plus 8 and I roast a pound a week on the weekend for the next week. I love working with them because you can really see and hear what is going on with the beans as they roast. I let them degass than put them in a baggie and squesh all the air out. I just aquired some Jamaica Blue Mt. I have for sale. Also a COE winner "like" Cafe Apolo peaberry that is really special that you might want to try sometime.
 
so then, are you saying that you drink a pound of coffee a week? Im not sure if thats alot or not. I been drinking senseo pods for so long that Im a bit out of touch with my own usage. anyhow, I added your site to my favs, Ill likely check out your tanzanian peaberry, and your suggestions. thanks
 
Back
Top