BunJava - New Coffeeshop - Floorplan

tlowing

Jan 19, 2008
Cocoa Beach, FL
Visit site
Thanks, I updated the spreadsheet specs. I'm most likely going with the register for the reasons you mention. But I'm a bit of a tech geek so the POS system is appealing but I can't afford it.

CCafe said:
Looking at your equipment you speced 1/4" water line for the Bunn. Its actually a 3/8" flare inlet. If you have any other equipment on the same line you may even want to upgrade to 1/2" water line.

Mazzer Major's are nice grinders but probably overkill for you. I would suggest a Mazzer Super Jolly instead. Slightly smaller burrs and cost half as much. Some people do a lot of decaf and some don't. You might even want to consider a Mazzer Mini for decaf.

For your espresso machine I would spec out a 30 or even a 50 amp circuit. If you find your little 2 group isn't cutting it you won't have to hire an electrician to rewire a bigger circuit after the fact. There are plenty of 3 and 4 group machines out there with 6,000 - 8,000 watt elements.

You might want to consider purchasing some airpots. If you have a slow time its far better to brew a half batch into an airpot to have a full pot vs have a half full TF.

As for you water filtration it doesn't matter who you really pick in the end. Your best bet is to have one system that services all water related equipment. For a store your size you'll most likely spend around $1,000 - $1,500 for the system and another $500 - $1,000 to have the plumber install it.

I see you have listed a POS system and a cash register. A simple cash register is far cheaper then a POS system. Most POS systems run between $3,000 - $5,000.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I like the whole idea of a in-counter pass through knock box. Just put a bucked or trash can under it and knock away. One thing though, there are a lot of cheap knock boxes floating around that are made with 20 gauge stainless steel and even thinner. They don't last to the repeated beatings. I would recommend you look for a minimum of 18 gauge or thicker.

As of late I have been seeing a few that have even been made from polished aluminum. There just as bad.

The other thing is a lot of them do not come with a rubber mounting pad. This will help absorb a lot of that energy as well as provide some acoustical relief.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I was looking at the layout, is that the three-compartment sink behind the Ref display. If it is, a lot of places specify that all three compartments be of equal size and they have to fit your largest utensil.

The other thing that caught my eye was your counter top is 32" deep. It makes for great storage below but sometimes creates wasted space on top.

tlowing

Jan 19, 2008
Cocoa Beach, FL
Visit site
That's the closest sink I could find in Visio to a three compartment sink. I need to decide real soon (this weekend probably) if that sink is a drop in or one of those commercial SS three piece units. I also need to nail down the oven and dishwasher model.

The counter depth is being driven by the under-counter refrigerator depth. for instance, the True TUC-27F is 31 1/8"Deep.

and that leads me to my next question. what counter height do you recommend? It's starting to look like the counter should be around 40 to 41". Is that too high?

Another issue is the architect. Right now we have two choices. $1800 for a commercial architect who has a lot of experience with restaurants or another architect who has lots of experience, just not commercial experience. for $800?

Thanks.

CCafe said:
I was looking at the layout, is that the three-compartment sink behind the Ref display. If it is, a lot of places specify that all three compartments be of equal size and they have to fit your largest utensil.

The other thing that caught my eye was your counter top is 32" deep. It makes for great storage below but sometimes creates wasted space on top.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
The standard countertop height is 36". The biggest problem with going over that really comes in to play with the espresso machine. I would say people under 5'8" start getting pretty uncomfortable with the espresso machine much higher then 38". The Appia's groups are going to sit about 13" to 15" above what ever your counter height is.

Here's what I tell most new shop owners. Its really about ergonomics. Let your arms rest handing down with your hands touching your legs. Now lift your hands bending at the elbow to make a perfect 90 degree angle upwards. This is where most people are very comfortable. When you have to move your elbows higher to reach the espresso machine then this where the problems begin.

So since I'm around 6'5" I have no real problem with the machine on a counter at 40". My boss however is a foot shorter then I am and really complains when the counter is over 36" because he is out of his comfortable range of motion. This is where people will get injured in the long haul. The repetitive motion has a tendency to tear up shoulders.

While were on the subject, tamping too can cause Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. It can take a while and I see it a lot with shop owners who are busy a lot and have been in business a long time. You really need to address proper tamping technique.

tlowing

Jan 19, 2008
Cocoa Beach, FL
Visit site
I just emailed Manitowoc to see if the legs can be shortened to fit under a 38" counter. The specs say "adjustable legs" but the installation manual is vague.

CCafe said:
The standard countertop height is 36". The biggest problem with going over that really comes in to play with the espresso machine. I would say people under 5'8" start getting pretty uncomfortable with the espresso machine much higher then 38". The Appia's groups are going to sit about 13" to 15" above what ever your counter height is.

Here's what I tell most new shop owners. Its really about ergonomics. Let your arms rest handing down with your hands touching your legs. Now lift your hands bending at the elbow to make a perfect 90 degree angle upwards. This is where most people are very comfortable. When you have to move your elbows higher to reach the espresso machine then this where the problems begin.

So since I'm around 6'5" I have no real problem with the machine on a counter at 40". My boss however is a foot shorter then I am and really complains when the counter is over 36" because he is out of his comfortable range of motion. This is where people will get injured in the long haul. The repetitive motion has a tendency to tear up shoulders.

While were on the subject, tamping too can cause Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. It can take a while and I see it a lot with shop owners who are busy a lot and have been in business a long time. You really need to address proper tamping technique.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I've seen quite a few shops where the ice was hauled in from a storage room. You could put a bigger machine in your storage room and where the ice machine currently is set you could add a Coke or Pepsi dispenser. Then all the ice you haul in to the kitchen will be added to the dispenser to cool the lines and have ice on hand.

If your running low on storage space you could possible get rid of the hot water heater. You could install a on demand tankless system that should be able to handle all of your hot water needs. They require very little room, can be hung on a wall, and vented out a side wall. On a side note they are more expensive to purchase but it will pay for itself down the road.

tlowing

Jan 19, 2008
Cocoa Beach, FL
Visit site
Go an answer back from Manitowoc:
Trevor

Yes, you can select under legs in our catalog for Caster. K-00063 kit. 2.5” Some installers take the legs off completely and silicone to the base under their counter. Make sure this is acceptable by the building code in your area if opting for this method.

Thank you, glen

Glen Diamond Jr.

Regional Service Manager

Manitowoc Foodservice Group

tlowing

Jan 19, 2008
Cocoa Beach, FL
Visit site
Finally got the paperwork in ot the state. Hopefully starting ripout this weekend. The hunt for equipment is on. Flew up to Kansas City to inspect some equipment over the weekend but it didn't pan out.

tlowing were is your ice cream freezer? I had a sit down coffee/espresso shop and put in a 8 flavor ice cream freezer not only do you sell by cones,hot fudge sundays, there are ice cream mochas.

I now have a drive-thru coffee/espresso and ice cream mochas are 40% of sales.I run different flavors as specials each week with 6-7 regular flavors at all times.
ICECREAMMOCHA.jpg