Coffee and Baking - please help

G

Hello coffee lovers!

I was browsing through the forum for a good couple of hours, but I can't seem to find any topic on coffee and baking. Hope you experts could help me out :)

I'm trying to get the recipe for a capuccino/mocha flavored bun that I tried in Kuala Lumpur last year. It is basically a sweet dough (like a sweet hamburger bun) with a sweet coffee topping that covers the whole top portion of the bun.

The sweet dough is baked together with the coffee/mocha/capuccino topping which then releases a strong coffee aroma that draws in the crowds. Surprisingly, the taste is more to caramel and not coffee which actually tastes very good! I tried to clone the bun, but failed.

My question: what particular coffee should I use that gives out a strong coffee caramel aroma when baked, but without the strong taste? Do I use freshly ground beans like arabica, or will instant coffee granules do? Do I need any other ingredient that will improve the aroma and make it more caramel like? Do I use white or brown sugar, etc?

Also, the bun I tried still has the coffee caramel aroma, 2 to 3 days after it has been baked. Do you know of any "aroma preservatives" that could be added to the coffee to make its aroma last for days?

Hope you guys could help me out. Any tip will be greatly appreciated :)

MrJim

Jun 14, 2005
Hayward, WI
Visit site
Just a thought

Any coffee crystals or instant coffee will be very bad. I sometimes make a coffee flavored milk shake and use high quality freshly roasted coffee beans ground very, very fine and just dumped in like that with out brewing. The shakes are great and taste like freshly roasted coffee smells. Slightly gritty but delicious. Try it, it may work. good luck.