Coffee and stomach Acidity

cece74

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Personally, if you are having problems, and you have had the symptoms for an extended period of time, I would consult a doctor. It could very well be a very minor problem, but you will never know, so make an appointment. Self diagnosis can be very stressful and in many cases un-warranted.

That's right! And 'the best solution!

espressoaddict

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I believe that 100% arabica beans, while still acidic are less so than those cheaper coffees that have robusta beans added. Some are 20% robusta or more. It may be worth making sure you are avoiding the lower quality robusta beans.

espressoaddict

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
There is a book out called "eat for your blood type". The author is controversial so I'm not advocating his system. But I read the book earlier this year when trying to lose weight and the author states that type "o" people have a higher level of stomach acidity. Therefore they have a statistically higher likelihood of developing stomach ulcers than the other blood types. I mentioned this to a physician friend of mine and he verified this telling me that the higher acid in the stomach favors H. Pylori the bacteria which contributes to ulcers. It might be good for you to know this because if you are prone to higher stomach acid (Type O) then coffee use may exacerbate this existing problem. The majority of the US population is Type O and drinks coffee without any problems, but I thought that it may be a factor, even if a small one, in your case. It goes without saying that you should seek the counsel of good doctor.

Augustus

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Alisay, It does indeed sound like you are an avid drinker of Coffee and if you are having problems with stomach acidity there are a few solutions one was mentioned earlier. I am not a physician, however I do know coffee and the earlier post was correct: the darker the roast the less caffeine and acidity.

Now the reason I am telling you this is it sounds like you will go back to drinking coffee not matter what. Your craving for coffee is evident, so if you do have another cup try a very dark roast. Believe me it does make a difference!

ALLYSDARE

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have been drinking alot of coffee recently and feel a slight pain. My friends say its because of all the coffee I drink. Is there a specific medication to lower the acid when i drink coffee. By the way, Im not thinking of stopping coffee drinking. other options please.

orange county boot camps

Last edited:

CJA

Sep 20, 2011
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Allysdare,

I don't have the same issue when I drink coffee, however, I suffered from acid reflux at one time, and I was told coffee was a contributing factor to that. That said, I was prescribed what's called a "protein pump inhibitor" medicine (called Protonix) that would essentially train my stomach to release less acid when I ate or drank. I took the Protonix on/off for about a year, and now I don't have any issues anymore (and I no longer have to take the medicine). Of course, these results might be unique to me but just thought I'd share.

Chris